Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019
World Languages and Cultures (WLC) with a concentration in French International Studies and Business (WLFB)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 16.0101
College of Arts & Sciences
Major DescriptionThe B.A. in World Languages and Cultures offers students a solid foundation in language and linguistic skills as well as knowledge of diverse cultures. Students may choose one concentration: Applied Linguistics, Chinese Language and Culture, Classics, East Asian Languages and Cultures, French, French International Studies and Business, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Spanish International Studies and Business, or may combine two concentrations (36 credit hours: 6 credit hours major core and 15 credit hours per concentration; the French International Studies and Business and the Spanish International Studies and Business concentrations are excluded). Upon completion of the program, students will be able to interact and participate in a global environment.
Concentration DescriptionThe undergraduate concentration in French International Studies and Business prepares students academically and practically for professions in international business, government and politics where proficiency in French is an asset.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
Students should demonstrate proficiency by testing or completion of a foreign language through the intermediate level per State Mandated Common Prerequisites (see https://dlss.flvc.org/c/document_library/get_file?uuid=4f8695e3-1adc-4631-9e89-9c26fc145b54). This may be accomplished by completing 6-12 hours within the language or by demonstrated competency at the intermediate level.
Total Major Hours: 69 Hours
Major Core Courses - 6 Hours
Major Elective Courses - 24-63 Hours
Students must select one of the following concentrations:
- Applied Linguistics
- Chinese Language and Culture
- East Asian Languages and Cultures
- French International Studies and Business
- Interdisciplinary Classical Civilizations
- Spanish International Studies and Business
Concentration Core Courses - 63 Hours
- Concentration Core (12 credit hours)
- Concentration Supporting French Courses (12 credit hours)
- Student chooses 12 credit hours of 3000- and 4000-level FRE, FRT, or FRW coursework
- Note: It is strongly recommended student take FRE 3440 French for Business and courses utilized for other requirement within this concentration may not be utilized for this requirement.
- Concentration Business Courses (18 credit hours)
- Concentration Supporting Business Courses (6 credit hours)
- Required courses in International Studies (9 credit hours)
- Required overseas study courses and/or area studies courses (6 credit hours)
- Select six (6) overseas study credit hours or three (3) credit hours of overseas study plus three (3) credit hours of area studies courses planned with an advisor.