Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019
Studio Art (SBF)
Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 50.0702 - Track 1 of 2
College of The Arts
Major DescriptionThe B.F.A. program in Studio Art will expose the student to many possibilities in the art-making process. The areas of emphasis in art media on the Tampa campus are painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, ceramics, and electronic media/video/performance. These options provide access to a comprehensive program of study in art. Students can develop their conceptual and technical skills in a particular art discipline or decide to investigate a specific subject through the use of numerous media and "mixed" forms of art.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
Note: It is recommended that transfer students complete both Design I and Design II prior to transfer. If a student does not complete Design I and Design II prior to transfer they should wait and enroll in ART 2201C (Concepts and Practices I) and ART 2203C (Concepts and Practices II) at USF.
- ART X201 Design I or ART XXXX
- ART X202 Design II or ART X203 or ART XXXX
- ART X300 Drawing I
- ART X301 Drawing II or ART X330 or ART X205 or ART X310 or ART X305
- ART X050 Art History Survey I
- ART X051 Art History Survey II
- ART XXXX 6 semester hours of ART courses
Total Major Hours: 82 Hours
Major Core Courses - 82 Hours
- Art Foundations (18 credit hours):
- ARH 2050 History of Visual Arts I*
- ARH 2051 History of Visual Arts II*
- ART 2201C Concepts and Practices I**
- ART 2203C Concepts and Practices II
- ART 2301C Beginning Drawing
- ART 3310C Intermediate Drawing
- *History of Visual Arts I and II must be used to satisfy the General Education requirements (TGED, TGEI) if the student is to remain within 120 hours for the degree.
**Concepts and Practices I must be used to satisfy the General Education (TGEC) requirement if the student is to remain within 120 hours for the degree.
- 2000 Level Studio (12 credit hours):
- 2000 Level 2-D Studio
- 2000 Level 3-D Studio
- 2000 Level Specialization
- 2000 Level Elective Studio
- 3000 Level Studio (18 credit hours):
- 3000 Level Specialization
- 3000 Level Non-Specialization
- 3000 Level Elective Studio
- 4000 Level Studio Specialization* (9 credit hours):
- 4000 Level Specialization
- *Note: Advanced Studios in Specialization must be taken sequentially and may not be completed during the same term.
- Expanded Context Courses (3 credit hours):
- Art History (9 credit hours):
- Additional Requirements (13 credit hours):
- ART 3939 Real World
- ART 4940 Extended Studies*
- ART 4970C Senior Thesis**
- ART 3618 Technology Essentials for Artists***
- *Paris Program, Public Art, Museum Internships, Community Art, Artists Internships/Apprenticeships, London Middlesex Program, Johannesburg Program.
**Must be taken with the second Advanced Studio in the student’s specialization.
- ***Note: ART 3618 Technology Essentials for Artists is a prerequisite for ART 3939 RealWorld.
Additional Major Information
E. Akin-Kivanç, W. Babcox, N. Bender, J. Byrd, S. Cheatham, C. Cornejo Alvarez, E. Fraser, M. Freeman, G. Green, S. Havens, E. Johnson, R. Lawrence, J. Lazarus, R. Marchi, N. Mason, P. Merrill Brekka, A. Moore, A. Pollack, B. Shanks, H. Szepe, W. Wilson, J. Yeon Woo Professor Emeritus: Lou Marcus
Major Other Information
The USF School of Art & Art History hosts fully equipped studios in all of these disciplines.
The B.F.A. program in Graphic Design is a limited access program and offered only at USF St. Petersburg. (Juniors and Seniors only)
Transfer credit from other institutions is accepted on the basis of portfolio and transcript evaluation. The School of Art & Art History accepts transfer credit from all Florida programs that are part of the "common course prerequisites".
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Show Me More
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Hide