Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019
Studio Art (SBA)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 50.0701
College of The Arts
Major DescriptionThis degree is designed to develop the student's consciousness of aesthetic and ideological aspects of art and its relationship to life. The degree also assists students in the realization of personal ideas, art making skills and imagery. The BA is oriented toward a general and broad immersion in the field. Studio courses are supplemented with studies in art history, foreign language and an abundance of electives both within the School of Art and Art History and throughout the campus. While the BA in Studio Art is not usually the preferred preparation for moving on to the Master of Fine Arts degree, it is quite appropriate for seeking other advanced degrees, especially in the Liberal Arts or other similar programs.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
Note: It is recommended that transfer students complete both Design I and Design II prior to transfer. If a student does not complete Design I and Design II prior to transfer they should wait and enroll in ART 2201C (Concepts and Practices I) and ART 2203C (Concepts and Practices II) at USF.
- ART X201 Design I
- ART X202 Design II or ART X203
- ART X300 Drawing I
- ART X301 Drawing II or ART X330 or ART X205 or ART X310 or ART X305
- ART X050 Art History Survey I
- ART X051 Art History Survey II
- ART XXXX 6 semester hours of ART courses
NOTE: All courses except the foreign language coursework require a C or higher.
Total Major Hours: 56 Hours
Major Core Courses - 56 Hours
- Art Preparation (18 credit hours):
- ARH 2050 History of Visual Arts I*
- ARH 2051 History of Visual Arts II*
- ART 2201C Concepts and Practices I**
- ART 2203C Concepts and Practices II
- ART 2301C Beginning Drawing
- ART 3310C Intermediate Drawing
- *History of Visual Arts I and II must be used to satisfy the General Education requirements (TGED, TGEI) if the student is to remain within 120 hours for the degree.
**Concepts and Practices I must be used to satisfy the General Education requirement (TGEC) if the student is to remain within 120 hours for the degree.
All studio courses, other than those designated as core or beginning studios, require the completion of the following core courses: ART 2201C or equivalent, ART 2203C or equivalent, ARH 2050 or ARH 2051, and ART 2301C or equivalent and ART 3310C or equivalent.
- Beginning Studio Workshops (12 credit hours):
- ART 2400C Beginning Printmaking
- ART 2500C Beginning Painting
- ART 2701C Beginning Sculpture
- ART 2750C Beginning Ceramics
- ART 3612C Beginning Video, Animation, and Digital Arts
- PGY 2401C Beginning Photography
These courses may not be repeated. These courses are prerequisites to the intermediate-level Studio Courses. Students must take at least one two-dimensional and one three-dimensional beginning studio course.
- Intermediate Studio Workshops (12 credit hours):
- 3000-Level Studio
B.A. students may substitute an advanced studio for their final intermediate studio by permission of the instructor of the advanced studio.
- Expanded Context Courses (3 credit hours):
- Art History (9 credit hours):
- ARH 4170 Greek & Roman Art
- ARH 4200 Medieval Art
- ARH 4301 Renaissance Art
- ARH 4350 Baroque and Rococo Art
- ARH 4430 19th Century Art
- ARH 4450 20th Century Art**
- ARH 4475C Contemporary Issues in Art
- ARH 4520 African Art
- ARH 4530 Asian Art
- ARH 4800 Critical Studies in Art History
- ARH 4930 Selected Topics in Art***
- *Three (3) credit hours may be taken in either ARH 4800 Critical Studies in Art History seminar or ART 4900 Directed Readings.
**ARH 4450 is required of all majors.
***ARH 4930 Art History: Selected Topics may be taken for degree credit only by approval of the academic advisor for the School of Art and Art History.
- Additional Requirements (2 credit hours):
- Extended Studies*
- *Paris Program, Public Art, Museum Internships, Community Art, Artists Internships/Apprenticeships, and London Middlesex Program.
Additional Major Information
E. Akin-Kivanç, W. Babcox, N. Bender, J. Byrd, S. Cheatham, C. Cornejo Alvarez, E. Fraser, M. Freeman, G. Green, S. Havens, E. Johnson, R. Lawrence, J. Lazarus, R. Marchi, N. Mason, P. Merrill Brekka, A. Moore, A. Pollack, B. Shanks, H. Szepe, W. Wilson, J. Yeon Woo Professor Emeritus: Lou Marcus
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Show Me More
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Hide