Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019
Nursing: Upper Division (NUR)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 51.3801
College of Nursing
Certified Global Pathway Program
The Upper Division (NUR) major is for students who have completed all nursing prerequisite courses and have a minimum GPA of 3.20. Notice: This curriculum is for all students admitted into the Upper Division Sequence starting in Fall 2017. Students admitted prior to Fall 2017 will follow the appropriate admission year plan.
This program has been certified as a Global Pathway. Global Pathway programs have significant global content and align with the goals of USF’s Quality Enhancement Plan, the Global Citizens Project. Students in Global Pathway programs are well positioned to earn the Global Citizen Award and become eligible to apply for a study abroad scholarship offered by the Global Citizens Project.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
The state-mandated nursing common pre-requisites are required to be completed before the published application deadline for the intended term of entry. A grade of 'C' or better is required while maintaining a cumulative GPA equal to or greater than 3.0.
The University's General Education requirements and College of Nursing's prerequisite/support courses may be completed through the A.A. degree from a Florida College System institution. If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. The A.A. degree satisfies admission requirements only if courses are carefully selected and include the required major prerequisite/support courses.
The College of Nursing requires certain courses within the General Education requirement for the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics. Students must complete the prerequisite courses listed below prior to being admitted to the Upper Division major. All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher.
All courses not approved by the Florida State Course Numbering System (includes all Florida public colleges, universities, and College System institutions) used to satisfy these prerequisite requirements will be evaluated individually on the basis of content and will require a catalog course description and a copy of the syllabus for assessment.
- BSC X085C Human Anatomy & Physiology I or any Human Anatomy & Physiology I course, 4 semester hours
- BSC X086C Human Anatomy & Physiology II or any Human Anatomy & Physiology II course, 4 semester hours
- CHM, BSC, PHY, PCB, BCH XXXX Any Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Biochemistry course, 3 semester hours
- DEP X004 Human Growth & Development or any Human Growth & Development course, 3 semester hours
- HUN X201 Human Nutrition or any Human Nutrition course OR NUR 1192, 3 semester hours
- MCB X010C Microbiology or Any Microbiology course, 4 semester hours
- PSY, SYG, or SOP XXXX Any Psychology, Sociology, or Social Psychology course, 3 semester hours
- STA X014 Statistics or any Statistics course, 3 semester hours
Total Major Hours: 68 Hours
Major Core Courses - 68 Hours
- NUR 3026 Patient Centered Care: Essentials of the Nursing Practice
- NUR 3026L Patient Centered Care: Essentials of the Nursing Practice Clinical
- NUR 3027L Patient Centered Care: Essentials of the Nursing Practice Lab
- NUR 3066 Health Assessment, Wellness, and Prevention Across the Life Span
- NUR 3066L Health Assessment, Wellness, and Prevention Across the Life Span Lab
- NUR 3125 Pathophysiology for Nursing Practice
- NUR 3145 Pharmacology in Nursing Practice
- NUR 3225 Complex Health Nursing I
- NUR 3225L Complex Health Nursing I Clinical
- NUR 3825 Introduction to the Profession of Nursing
- NUR 4165 Evidence-Based Practice
- NUR 4227 Complex Health Nursing II
- NUR 4227L Complex Health Nursing Clinical II
- NUR 4285 Healthy Aging: Nursing Care of Older Adults
- NUR 4467 Nursing Care of Women, Children, and Families
- NUR 4467L Nursing Care of Women, Children, and Families Clinical
- NUR 4535 Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing
- NUR 4535L Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing Clinical
- NUR 4635 Public Health Nursing
- NUR 4635L Public Health Nursing Clinical
- NUR 4827 Role Transition and Leadership in Nursing
- NUR 4888 Coordination of Care in Nursing
- NUR 4937 Nursing Seminar
- NUR 4948L Preceptorship
Additional Major Requirements
Major GPA Requirement
Minimum 3.20 cumulative GPA on all undergraduate work. Required prerequisite course grades may be weighted.
Major Course Grade Requirement
All Nursing courses must be passed with a C or better in didactic and an S in clinical.
Major Grade Requirement
Please refer to the USF College of Nursing Student Handbook for grade and progression requirements.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More