Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019
Music Studies (MSU)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 50.9999
College of The Arts
Major DescriptionThe B.A. degree in Music Studies is part of the Provost's Scholars Program (PSP). This is a program in which qualified students who enter USF directly from high school with 18 or more credits will be offered the opportunity to complete their undergraduate education in 3 years. Each selected student will be provided preferred registration privileges so that critical courses are not closed when they register. They will be given summer scholarships if they need to take summer classes and will be given scholarships to help them participate in study abroad programs. PSP students will live in the Honors College Living/Learning Community year 1. Students will be offered the assistance of faculty or off campus mentors, depending upon career goals and will be encouraged to use the fourth year for graduate study here at USF. Participants will not need to take larger academic loads and can take advantage of all that USF has to offer.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- MUT X111 Music Theory or MUT X121, X122, X126, or X127
- MUT X112 Music Theory or MUT X121, X122, X126, or X127
- MUT X116 Music Theory or MUT X121, X122, X126, or X127
- MUT X117 Music Theory or MUT X121, X122, X126, or X127
- MUT X241 Aural Theory or MUT X221, X222, X226, X227, X261, X261, X266, X267, X271,X272, X276, or X277
- MUT X242 Aural Theory or MUT X221, X222, X226, X227, X261, X261, X266, X267, X271,X272, X276, or X277
- MUT X246 Advanced Aural Theory or MUT X221, X222, X226, X227, X261, X261, X266, X267, X271, X272, X276, or X277
- MUT X247 Advanced Aural Theory or MUT X221, X222, X226, X227, X261, X261, X266, X267, X271, X272, X276, or X277
- MUN XXXX 4 semester hours
- MVX XX1X Secondary Applied Music Courses, 2-4 semester hours
- MVX XX2X Secondary Applied Music Courses, 2-4 semester hours
- Secondary Piano Proficiency by Examination or MVK X111, X112, and X122 or MVK X111r, X112r, X121r, and X121r or MVK X211 and X221
Required Supporting Courses for the Major: 0 Hours
The following courses are prerequisite and supporting courses for this major. They are required for the major, but are not counted in the total hours for this major. The degree will not be awarded if these courses have not been taken by the end of the student’s final semester.
MUS 2010 Recital Attendance (0 credit)
All B.A. students in Music Studies must register and pass MUS 2010 for four semesters. A minimum of seven attendances must be recorded at School of Music concert/recital events each semester.
Total Major Hours: 46 Hours
Major Core Courses - 38 Hours
- ACADEMIC COURSES (20 credit hours):
- Music Theory [Diagnostic Test administered at first class meeting]
- Aural Theory
- *Jazz Theory
- Music History
- MUH 3300 Medieval and Renaissance
- Choose 2 of the following 3 courses:
- APPLIED COURSES (12 credit hours):
- Applied Major (Studio)
- MVX 131X, 232X [2 terms--each level]
- Major Ensemble
- MUN 3XXX [concurrent registration with studio is required]
- Recital Attendance
- MUS 2010 ["S/U" grade only]
- Applied Major (Studio)
MUSIC EMPHASIS (6 credit hours):
Choose only one:
- ACADEMIC STUDIES [cannot share courses used for Music Electives]
- Choose two of the following:
- MUC 2301 Introduction to Electronic Music
- MUH 2020 The History of Blues and Rock
- MUH 2051 Folk and Traditional Music of World Cultures
- MUH 3016 Survey of Jazz
- MUL 3011 Western Art Music in Your Life
- MUH 4058 Intercultural Music in the Twentieth Century
- MUT 2117/MUT 2247 Music Theory IV/Aural Theory IV
- MUT 4421 Eighteenth Century Practice
- MUT 4571 Twentieth Century Practice
- APPLIED STUDIES
- Completion of Junior Level (MV? 333X) & Junior Recital
- Two additional terms of major ensemble
Major Elective Courses - 8 Hours
Electives: Music credits beyond those required may be used as program electives.
MUSIC ELECTIVES (8 credit hours):
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Show Me More
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More