Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019
Marine Biology (MRN)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 26.0101 - Track 1 of 2
College of Arts & Sciences
Major DescriptionStudents majoring in Marine Biology study life in the oceans. The program of study explores the unique marine environment and the nature of the organisms that inhabit the oceans. The objective of the program is to provide students with a firm foundation in basic biology and the tools necessary to function as professional biologists, with special emphasis on marine ecosystems. The program will prepare students for further education (e.g., ecology, environmental science, biological oceanography, evolutionary biology) or for careers in fields such as aquaculture, aquarium biology and education, conservation biology and education, environmental consulting, and wildlife biology.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- BSC X010/X010L Biology I with Lab or BSC X010C or BSC X040/X040L
- BSC X011/X011L Biology II with Lab or BSC X011C or BSC X041/X041L or ZOO X010/X010L or BOT X010/X010L or BOT X013/X013L
- CHM X045/X045L General Chemistry I with Lab or CHM X045C or CHM X040 and CHM X041
- CHM X046/X046L General Chemistry II with Lab or CHM X046C
- CHM X210/X210L Organic Chemistry I with Lab and CHM X211/X211L or (CHM X210C and CHM X211C) or (PHY X053/X053L and PHY X054/X054L) or (PHY X048/X048L and PHY X049/X049L)
- MAC X311 Calculus I or MAC X233 or MAC X253 or MAC X281 or MAC X241
- MAC X312 Calculus II or MAC X282 or MAC X234 or STA X023 or STA X024 or STA X321
Required Supporting Courses for the Major: 32-34 Hours
The following courses are prerequisite and supporting courses for this major. They are required for the major, but are not counted in the total hours for this major. The degree will not be awarded if these courses have not been taken by the end of the student’s final semester.
- CHM 2045 and CHM 2045L General Chemistry I and Laboratory
- CHM 2046 and CHM 2046L General Chemistry II and Laboratory
- CHM 2210 and CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I and Laboratory
- CHM 2211 and CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II and Laboratory
- Calculus I: MAC 2241 or MAC 2311 or MAC 2281
- Statistics or Calculus II: STA 2023 or MAC 2242 or MAC 2312 or MAC 2282
- One of the Physics Sequences:
- PHY 2053/2053L General Physics I and PHY 2054/2054L General Physics II
- PHY 2048/2048L General Physics I - Calculus Based and PHY 2049/2049L General Physics II - Calculus Based
Students must receive a C- or better to meet requirements for degree (for progression in Math and CHM, a C is required).
Total Major Hours: 37-41 Hours
Major Core Courses - 24-26 Hours
- BSC 2010 Cellular Processes
- BSC 2010L Cellular Processes Laboratory
- BSC 2011 Biodiversity
- BSC 2011L Biodiversity Laboratory
- BSC 3312 Marine Biology
- BSC 4937 Seminar in Marine Biology
- PCB 3043 Principles of Ecology
- PCB 3043L Principles of Ecology Laboratory
- PCB 3063 General Genetics
- PCB 3063L General Genetics Laboratory
- Choose one of the following:
*Special topics as approved for the major by the Department of Integrative Biology
Major Elective Courses - 13-15 Hours
Students choose 13-15 credit hours of coursework from the following list:
- BCH 4033 Advanced Biochemistry I
- BOT 3373C Vascular Plants: Form and Function
- BOT 4184C Biology of Coastal Plants
- BSC 4313C Advanced Marine Biology
- BSC 4933 Special Topics in Biology*
- GIS 4043C Geographic Information Systems or GIS 5049 GIS for Non-Majors
- GLY 4734 Beaches and Coastal Environments
- MCB 3020 General Microbiology
- MCB 3020L General Microbiology Laboratory
- MCB 4404 Microbial Physiology and Genetics and MCB 4404L Microbial Physiology and Genetics Laboratory
- PCB 3712 General Physiology and PCB 3713L General Physiology Laboratory
- PCB 4674 Organic Evolution
- PCB 4723 Animal Physiology and PCB 4723L Animal Physiology Laboratory
- ZOO 3205C Advanced Invertebrate Zoology
- ZOO 3407 Biology of Sharks and Rays and ZOO 3407L Biology of Sharks and Rays Laboratory
- ZOO 4454 Fish Biology and ZOO 4454 Fish Biology Laboratory
- ZOO 4513 Animal Behavior
*Special topics as approved for the major by the Department of Integrative Biology
Note: Course taken to fulfill structure requirement cannot also apply toward electives
Additional Major Requirements
All students majoring in one of the programs offered through the departments of Integrative or Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology and entering USF for the first time, in Fall 2009 or later, who subsequently earn three (3) D and/or F grades in USF coursework for their major and/or supporting coursework will be required to change to majors more appropriate to their goals and academic performances. Those majors may not include any conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
Effective Fall 2018, all students in the below listed programs must successfully complete the below science and math coursework with no more than a total of 3 D and/or F grades. Students unable to successfully complete these courses within these prescribed parameters will be required to select a different major and will not be permitted to take any additional courses offered by the below Departments/Divisions. In addition, registration for all courses offered by these departments will be dependent on students meeting the prescribed parameters regardless of their major.
Furthermore, any student who requests a change of major to one offered in the below identified departments will be required to meet these prescribed parameters as well as those criteria outlined in the Degree Progression Policy 10-505. Any continuing student who was previously forced to select a different major based on previous versions of this policy may now be eligible to pursue the majors listed below, but only if they meet both the criteria described here as well as the Degree Progression Policy 10-505 criteria. Students who are able to complete one of the below majors by earning fewer credit hours than required to complete any other major offered at USF may petition to request an exception and should contact the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics Advising Office for instructions. Grade Forgiveness will NOT apply to the mandated requirement of changing majors.
Division of Health Professions Advising; Department of Chemistry; Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology; and Department of Integrative Biology.
BCH 3053 BSC2010; BSC2011; BSC 2085; BSC 2086; BSC 2093C; BSC 2094C; BSC 2932; CHM 2023; CHM2045; CHM2046; CHM2210; CHM2211; CHS 2440; MAT 1033; MAC1105; MAC1147; MAC2241; MAC2242; MAC2311; MAC2312; MCB 3020; PCB 3023; PCB 3063; PHY2053; PHY2054; PHY2048; PHY2049; STA 2023.
A minimum of 8 credit hours at the 4000-level should be taken.
A maximum of 6 credit hours may be taken outside of the department with prior approval.
Major Course Grade Requirement
Please note that some supporting science courses may require a grade of C or better in order to meet the prerequisite requirements for course sequences.
Major Grade Requirement
A student must receive a C- grade or better in all Department of Integrative Biology and Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology, and Molecular Biology courses and supporting courses in the natural sciences, except if they are used as general elective courses. This specification applies to both USF and transfer courses.
Major Residency Requirement
A minimum of 20 credits hours of courses must be taken in residency and be applicable to the major.
Once a student has matriculated to USF Tampa, he/she is expected to take 100 percent of the required major coursework at USF Tampa.
Additional Major Information
Chairperson: V. Harwood; Professors: S. Bell, T. Crisman, G. Fox, V. Harwood, E. McCoy, P. Motta, P. Stiling; Associate Professors: S. Deban, M. Lajeunesse, D. Lewis, L. Martin, C. Richards, J. Rohr, K. Scott; Assistant Professors: R. Carney, B. Gemmell, L. Prevost, L. Sackett; Instructors: C. Begin, C. Osovitz, B. Predmore.
More About this Major
This major has an accelerated track that confers an undergraduate and graduate degree upon completion.Show Me More
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Hide