Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019
Marketing (MKT) with a concentration in Entrepreneurship (ENTC)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 52.1401
Muma College of Business
Concentration DescriptionThe Entrepreneurship Concentration in Marketing focuses on integration of the principles for successful opportunity recognition, application of creativity and innovation, and new venture creation and operations, The Entrepreneurship Concentration, with its emphasis on creativity and innovation, also prepares students for entrepreneurial leadership roles within organizations.
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business is an upper-level, limited access college, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student's program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in Management only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies, SVC 2002, (813) 974-4051, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- *ACG X021/ACG X022 Financial Accounting (or ACG X001 & ACG X011)
- *ACG X071 Managerial Accounting (or X301)
- CGS X100 Computers in Business (or acceptable substitute, i.e., CGS X100C, CGS X530, CGS X570, CGS X531, CGS X000, MAN X812)
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus or MAC 2230
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or QMB X100 or STA X122 (although STA X023 and QMB X100 are preferred).
Total Major Hours: 21 Hours
Major Core - 9 Hours
Required Marketing Courses (9 credit hours):
Concentration Core Courses - 12 Hours
Required Entrepreneurship Concentration Courses (12 credit hours):
- ENT 3613 Creativity and Innovation in Entrepreneurial Firms or EIN 4200 Creativity in Technology
- ENT 4014 New Venture Formation
- MAR 4503 Buyer Behavior
- Choose one of the following courses:
Additional Major Requirements
Concentration GPA Requirement
A 2.0 GPA in all major coursework at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA including transfer work.
Concentration Course Grade Requirement
A grade of "C" or higher (not C-) is required in MAR 3023 Basic Marketing. A minimum grade of C- is required for all Marketing coursework.
Concentration Residency Requirement
At least 15 hours of upper-level Marketing core courses must be taken in residence at USF Tampa.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More