Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 26.0503
College of Arts & Sciences
Major DescriptionThis degree specializes in the study of bacteria and other microbes, primarily at the cell and molecular level, and focuses on disease causing microbes. The Microbiology core and elective requirements include specialized microbiology courses necessary to qualify for certification by the National Registry of Microbiologists, American Society of Microbiology, and employment in microbiology and related fields. Many microbiology majors plan to apply to medical or dental school, while others plan careers as professional microbiologists in industry and government. Others become teachers or aspire to graduate training in microbiology.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- BSC X010/X010L Biology I with Lab or BSC X010C or BSC X040/X040L or PCB X011C
- BSC X011/X011L Biology II with Lab or BSC X011C or BSC X041/X041L
- CHM X045/X045L General Chemistry I with Lab or CHM X045C or (CHM X040 and CHM X041)
- CHM X046/X046L General Chemistry II with Lab or CHM X046C
- CHM X210/X210L Organic Chemistry I with Lab and CHM X211/X211L or (CHM X210C and CHM X211C) or (PHY X053/X053L and PHY X054/X054L) or (PHY X048/X048L and PHY X049/X049L)
- MAC X311 Calculus I or MAC X233 or MAC X253 or MAC X281 or MAC X241
- MAC X312 Calculus II or MAC X282 or MAC X234 or STA X023 or STA X024 or STA X321
Required Supporting Courses for the Major: 32-34 Hours
The following courses are prerequisite and supporting courses for this major. They are required for the major, but are not counted in the total hours for this major. The degree will not be awarded if these courses have not been taken by the end of the student’s final semester.
- CHM 2045 General Chemistry I
- CHM 2045L General Chemistry I Laboratory
- CHM 2046 General Chemistry II
- CHM 2046L General Chemistry II Laboratory
- CHM 2210 Organic Chemistry I
- CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I Laboratory
- CHM 2211 Organic Chemistry II
- CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II Laboratory
- MAC 2241 Life Sciences Calculus I and MAC 2242 Life Sciences Calculus II
- MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus I and MAC 2282 Engineering Calculus II
- MAC 2311 Calculus I and MAC 2312 Calculus II
- STA 2023 Introductory Statistics I may be substituted for any Calculus II
- MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus I and MAC 2282 Engineering Calculus II
- PHY 2048/2048L General Physics I - Calculs Based and PHY 2049/2049L General Physics II - Calculus Based
- PHY 2053/2053L General Physics I and General Physics 1 Laboratory and PHY 2054/2054L General Physics II and General Physics II Laboratory
Total Major Hours: 43 Hours
Major Core Courses - 31 Hours
- BSC 2010 Cellular Processes
- BSC 2010L Cellular Processes Laboratory
- BSC 2011 Biodiversity
- BSC 2011L Biodiversity Laboratory
- PCB 3023 Cell Biology
- PCB 3023L Cell Biology Laboratory
- PCB 3063 General Genetics
- PCB 3063L General Genetics Laboratory
- MCB 3410 Cell Metabolism
- MCB 3020 General Microbiology
- MCB 3020L General Microbiology Laboratory
- MCB 4115 Determinative Bacteriology
- MCB 4115L Determinative Bacteriology Laboratory
- MCB 4320 Molecular Microbiology
Major Elective Courses - 12 Hours
Students must choose 12 credit hours from the following list:
- BCH 3053 General Biochemistry
- BOT 4434C Mycology
- BSC 4905 Independent Study (1 credit maximum)
- BSC 5931 Selected Topics in Biology*
- MCB 4313 Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology
- MCB 4223 Food Microbiology
- MCB 4404 Microbial Physiology and Genetics
- MCB 4404L Microbial Physiology and Genetics Laboratory
- MCB 4503 Virology
- MCB 4905 Microbiology Undergraduate Research (1 or 2 credit hours/semester, no more than 4 credits total)
- MCB 4933 Selected Topics in Microbiology*
- MCB 4934 Seminar in Microbiology
- MCB 5206 Public Health and Pathogenic Microbiology
- MCB 5655 Applied and Environmental Microbiology
- MCB 5815 Medical Mycology
- PCB 4234 Principles of Immunology
- PCB 4671 Molecular Evolution
- ZOO 4753 Human Histology and Molecular Pathology of Disease
*Selected topics approved for the major by the Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology
Additional Major Requirements
All students majoring in one of the programs offered through the department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology and entering USF for the first time, in Fall 2009 or later, who subsequently earn three (3) D and/or F grades in USF coursework for their major and/or supporting coursework will be required to change to majors more appropriate to their goals and academic performances. Those majors may not include any conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
All continuing USF students who entered USF prior to Fall 2009 and who have not earned any D or F grades in USF major coursework or supporting coursework by the beginning of Fall 2009, will also be allowed three (3) D and/or F grades in subsequent terms before being required to choose another major more appropriate to their goals and academic performances, and not including any conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
Any continuing USF students who enter USF prior to Fall 2009 and who have earned greater than or equal to one (1) D or F grade in USF coursework for their major coursework or supporting coursework by the beginning of Fall 2009, will be allowed only two (2) more D and/or F grades in subsequent semesters before being required to choose other majors more appropriate to their goals and academic performances, and not including any majors conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
Grade Forgiveness will NOT apply to the mandated requirement of changing major.
Effective Fall 2018, all students in the below listed programs must successfully complete the below science and math coursework with no more than a total of 3 D and/or F grades. Students unable to successfully complete these courses within these prescribed parameters will be required to select a different major and will not be permitted to take any additional courses offered by the below Departments/Divisions. In addition, registration for all courses offered by these departments will be dependent on students meeting the prescribed parameters regardless of their major.
Furthermore, any student who requests a change of major to one offered in the below identified departments will be required to meet these prescribed parameters as well as those criteria outlined in the Degree Progression Policy 10-505. Any continuing student who was previously forced to select a different major based on previous versions of this policy may now be eligible to pursue the majors listed below, but only if they meet both the criteria described here as well as the Degree Progression Policy 10-505 criteria. Students who are able to complete one of the below majors by earning fewer credit hours than required to complete any other major offered at USF may petition to request an exception and should contact the School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics Advising Office for instructions. Grade Forgiveness will NOT apply to the mandated requirement of changing majors.
Division of Health Professions Advising; Department of Chemistry; Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology; and Department of Integrative Biology.
BCH 3053 BSC2010; BSC2011; BSC 2085; BSC 2086; BSC 2093C; BSC 2094C; BSC 2932; CHM 2023; CHM2045; CHM2046; CHM2210; CHM2211; CHS 2440; MAT 1033; MAC1105; MAC1147; MAC2241; MAC2242; MAC2281; MAC2282; MAC2311; MAC2312; MCB 3020; PCB 3023; PCB 3063; PHY2053; PHY2054; PHY2048; PHY2049; STA 2023.
Major Grade Requirement
A student must receive a C- grade or better in all Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology, and Molecular Biology courses and supporting courses in the natural sciences, except if they are used as general elective courses. This specification applies to both USF and transfer courses.
Please note that some supporting science courses may require a grade of C or better in order to meet the prerequisite requirements for course sequences.
Major Residency Requirement
A minimum of 20 credits hours of courses must be taken in residency and be applicable to the major.
Once a student has matriculated to USF Tampa, he/she is expected to take 100 percent of the required major coursework at USF Tampa.
More About this Major
This major has an accelerated track that confers an undergraduate and graduate degree upon completion.Show Me More
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More