Undergraduate Catalog 2018-2019
Information Studies (IFS) with a concentration in Information Security (IISC)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 11.0103 - Track 2 of 4
College of Arts & Sciences
Major DescriptionThe Bachelor of Science in Information Studies program is meant to prepare students for leadership careers in a wide array of environments and contexts related to the emerging knowledge economy. Concentrations are available in four high-demand job areas: Information Security, Health Informatics, Data Science and Analytics, and Information Science and Technology. The program integrates critical skills in information technology with the solid theoretical and disciplinary foundations of Information Science. Emphasis is given to understanding how people interact with information and technology; the complexities of the information society; information creation, storage, and organization applications and theories; information architecture; and related knowledge and skills needed to design, implement, and evaluate new tools and approaches to solve emerging information problems.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- PSY XXXX Any Psychology course
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics I or STA X122
- ECO X013 Principles of Economics (Macroeconomics)
- CGS XXXX Any Database Course
- COP XXXX Any Computer Programming course
- COP XXXX Any Object-Oriented Computer Programming course
- MAC XXXX Any Pre-Calculus or Discrete Math course
- PHI XXXX Any general ethics course
Total Major Hours: 39 Hours
Major CoreStudents admitted to the program prior to the Fall 2011 semester follow previous catalog guidelines.
Major Core Courses - 18 Hours
- LIS 3261 Introduction to Information Science
- LIS 3353 IT Concepts for Information Professionals
- LIS 4204 Information Behaviors
- LIS 4414 Information Policy and Ethics
Exit Courses (6 credits):
Major Elective Courses - 21 Hours
Students must choose one of the following 21 credit hour concentrations:
- Data Science and Analytics
- Health Informatics
- Information Science and Technology
- Information Security
Area of emphasis: cybersecurity and protecting information or data from unauthorized access, use, misuse, disclosure, destruction, modification, or disruption.
- CIS 3360 Principles of Information Security
- CIS 3367 Architecting Operating System Security
- CIS 4204 Ethical Hacking
- CIS 4361 Information Assurance and Security Management for IT
- CIS 4365 Computer Security Policies and Disaster Preparedness
- LIS 4482 Networks and Communication
Concentration Elective Courses - 3 Hours
Students choose any three (3) credit hours of electives from the following list:
- LIS 2005 Information Literacy
- LIS 3352 Interaction Design
- LIS 3361 World Wide Web Page Design and Management
- LIS 3783 Information Architecture
- LIS 4029 Professional & Technical Communication for Analysts
- LIS 4273 Advanced Statistics and Analytics
- LIS 4317 Introduction to Visual Analytics
- LIS 4365 Web Design Technologies
- LIS 4370 R Programming for Data Science
- LIS 4477 Clinical Decision Support
- LIS 4761 Introduction to Data & Text Mining
- LIS 4776 Health Information Technology
- LIS 4779 Health Information Security
- LIS 4785 Introduction to Health Informatics
- LIS 4800 Introduction to Data Science
- LIS 4805 Predictive Analytics
- LIS 4930 Selected Topics in Information Studies (topic must be approved by the advisor or program director)