Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
World Languages and Cultures (WLC) with a concentration in German (WLGR)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 16.0101
College of Arts & Sciences
The B.A. in World Languages and Cultures offers students a solid foundation in language and linguistic skills as well as knowledge of diverse cultures. Students may choose one concentration: Applied Linguistics, Chinese Language and Culture, Classics, East Asian Languages and Cultures, French, French International Studies and Business, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish, Spanish International Studies and Business, or may combine two concentrations (36 credit hours: 6 credit hours major core and 15 credit hours per concentration; the French International Studies and Business and the Spanish International Studies and Business concentrations are excluded). Upon completion of the program, students will be able to interact and participate in a global environment.
The concentration in German prepares students to understand and critically evaluate the language and cultures of German-speaking countries. The program prepares students in communicative proficiency and cultural literacy so that they are able to competently engage in global and transcultural interactions in the 21st century. Students will be prepared for positions in education, international business, foreign affairs, the arts, politics, and international law.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- Students should demonstrate proficiency at the intermediate level within the concentration’s language. This may be accomplished by completing 6-12 hours within the language or by demonstrated competency at the intermediate level.
Total Major Hours: 30 Hours
Major Core Courses - 6 Hours
Major Elective Courses - 24-63 Hours
Students must select one of the following concentrations:
- Applied Linguistics
- Chinese Language and Culture
- East Asian Languages and Cultures
- French International Studies and Business
- Interdisciplinary Classical Civilizations
- Spanish International Studies and Business
Concentration Core Courses - 9 Hours
Student chooses nine credit hours of 3000- or 4000-level coursework in German (taught in German).
- GER 3333 German Language & Culture through Film
- GER 3420 Composition I
- GER 3440 German for Business & International Trade
- GER 3500 The Germans – Past and Present
- GER 3501 Urban Life & Culture in Germany
- GER 3573 Cultural Observations in Germany
- GER 4410 Conversation II
- GER 4421 Composition II
Concentration Elective Courses - 15 Hours
Student chooses 15 credit hours of 2000-, 3000- or 4000-level coursework in German (taught in German or English), including approved courses in related disciplines, planned with an advisor.
- GER 2200 German III
- GER 2201 German IV
- GER 2240 Conversation I
- GET 3103 German Literature in English Translation
- GET 3522 Fantastic Films of Early German Cinema
- GET 3524 German Popular Film
- GET 4250 Dungeons, Dragons & Dwarves Germanic Myth and Pop Cult
- GET 4523 New German Cinema to Present
- GET 4528 German Directors in Hollywood (FKL CPST, FKL HHCP)
- GEW 4100 Survey of German Literature I
- GEW 4101 Survey of German Literature II
- GEW 4900 Directed Study
- GEW 4930 Selected Topics (topics approved in advance by advisor)
Note: A maximum of 6 credits hours of 2000-level coursework may be applied toward the concentration electives.