Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018
Nursing: VCARE (VCA)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 51.3801
College of Nursing
The VCARE sequence is for students who have U.S. Army Medic, U.S. Air Force Medic, or U.S. Navy Corpsman training and experience and minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00.
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
This is a full-time limited access program, as mandated by the state, and is structured sequentially. Admission is competitive.
- Admission to the University of South Florida (Tampa Campus).
- Completed application to the College of Nursing prior to the published deadline for the intended term of entry.
- Applicants must have U.S. Army Medic, U.S. Air Force Medic, or U.S. Navy Corpsman training and experience to be a candidate for the V-CARE sequence.
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on all undergraduate work.
- Completion of the Nursing prerequisite courses by the published application deadline for the intended term of entry.
- Students who do not have all prerequisite courses completed by the Fall admission cycle may be eligible for conditional admission.
- Note: Any outstanding Nursing prerequisite courses must be completed by the program start date, with a minimum grade of C or better, while maintaining a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0.
- Completion of English Composition I, English Composition II, and the State Computation Requirement (formerly known as Gordon Rule Math) by the published application deadline.
- If selected, an interview with College of Nursing faculty.
- Completion of the University's Foreign Language Entrance Requirement (FLENT) and University Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Core Curriculum (General Education) requirements by the intended term of entry.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
The state-mandated nursing common pre-requisites are required to be completed before the published application deadline for the intended term of entry. A grade of 'C' or better is required while maintaining a cumulative GPA equal to or greater than 3.0.
The University's Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum (General Education) requirements and College of Nursing's prerequisite/support courses may be completed through the A.A. degree from a Florida College System institution. If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. The A.A. degree satisfies admission requirements only if courses are carefully selected and include the required major prerequisite/support courses.
The College of Nursing requires certain courses within the Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum (General Education) requirement for the natural, social and behavioral sciences, and mathematics. Students must complete the prerequisite courses listed below prior to being admitted to the VCARE sequence except those students in the C.A.R.E. program. All prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or higher.
All courses not approved by the Florida State Course Numbering System (includes all Florida public colleges, universities, and College System institutions) used to satisfy these prerequisite requirements will be evaluated individually on the basis of content and will require a catalog course description and a copy of the syllabus for assessment
- BSC X085C Human Anatomy & Physiology I or any Human Anatomy & Physiology I course, 4 semester hours
- BSC X086C Human Anatomy & Physiology II or any Human Anatomy & Physiology II course, 4 semester hours
- CHM, BSC, PHY, PCB, BCH XXXX Any Chemistry, Biology, Physics, or Biochemistry course, 3 semester hours
- DEP X004 Human Growth & Development or any Human Growth & Development course, 3 semester hours
- HUN X201 Human Nutrition or any Human Nutrition course OR NUR 1192, 3 semester hours
- MCB X010C Microbiology or Any Microbiology course, 4 semester hours
- PSY, SYG, or SOP XXXX Any Psychology, Sociology, or Social Psychology course, 3 semester hours
- STA X014 Statistics or any Statistics course, 3 semester hours
Total Major Hours: 56 Hours
Major Core Courses - 56 Hours
- NUR 3066L Health Assessment, Wellness, and Prevention Across the Life Span Lab
- NUR 3081 Bridge to Professional Nursing
- NUR 3081L Bridge to Professional Nursing Practice
- NUR 3125 Pathophysiology for Nursing Practice
- NUR 3145 Pharmacology in Nursing Practice
- NUR 3225 Complex Health Nursing I
- NUR 3225L Complex Health Nursing I Clinical
- NUR 4165 Evidence-Based Practice
- NUR 4227 Complex Health Nursing II
- NUR 4227L Complex Health Nursing II Clinical
- NUR 4285 Healthy Aging: Nursing Care of Older Adults
- NUR 4467 Nursing Care of Women, Children, and Families
- NUR 4467L Nursing Care of Women, Children, and Families Clinical
- NUR 4535 Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing
- NUR 4535L Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing Clinical
- NUR 4635 Public Health Nursing
- NUR 4635L Public Health Nursing Clinical
- NUR 4827 Role Transition and Leadership in Nursing
- NUR 4888 Coordination of Care in Nursing
- NUR 4948L Preceptorship
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Show Me More
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More