Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
Theatre (TAR) with a concentration in Theatre Arts (TAA)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 50.0501 - Track 2 of 2
College of The Arts
Through its curriculum and production program, students have the opportunity to prepare for a professional career in the theatre or to continue their studies at the graduate level. Our exclusively undergraduate program boasts intensive studies in the disciplines of performance, design and theatre arts as well as a close working relationship with our nationally and internationally recognized faculty.
The Theatre Arts Concentration is intended for the student who, in consultation with the Theatre Advisor, wishes to construct his/her own degree program from a broad spectrum of theatre courses. In addition to courses in performance and design, areas of study available are Technical Theatre, Playwriting, Stage Management, Directing, Literature and Criticism, and more.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
Students need not have completed a concentration of courses in theatre in order to consider a Theatre major at USF. However, admission to the upper-level Theatre Performance program is by audition and admission to the upper-level Design sequence is by portfolio review. If the student does not succeed in passing the audition or portfolio review certain Theatre program requirements may have to be repeated until successful completion of the audition or portfolio review can be achieved.
- THE X000 Any introductory course from THE X001-X035 (3 credit hours)
- THE X300 or THE X305 (3 credit hours)
- THE X925 (1 credit hour)
- TPA X290 (1 credit hour)
- TPA X200 or TPA X210 (3 credit hours)
- TPP X190 or TPP X110 (3 credit hours)
- Any combination THE, TPA and TPP course (9 credit hours)
Total Major Hours: 54 Hours
Major CoreStudents may choose one of three areas for the B.A. degree: Performance, Design or Theatre Arts. Common to all is the following core, normally taken in the years indicated:
Major Core Courses - 33 Hours
First Year (14 credit hours):
- THE 2020 Introduction to Theatre
- TPP 2110 Acting I
- TPA 2200 Introduction to Technical Theatre I
- TPA 2290L Technical Theatre Lab I
- TPA 2211 Introduction to Technical Theatre II or TPA 2220 Introduction to Technical Theatre III
- TPA 2291L Technical Theatre Lab II or TPA 2220L Technical Theatre Lab III
Second Year (8 credit hours):
- THE 2305 Script Analysis
- THE 3110 Theatre History I or THE 3111 Theatre History II
- TPA 2292 Production Involvement I
- TPP 2190 Studio Theatre Performance I
Third Year (8 credit hours):
- Choose two Theatre History/Literature Courses from the following list:
- THE 3110 Theatre History I
- THE 3111 Theatre History II
- THE 4174 New British Theatre and Drama
- THE 4180 Theatre Origins
- THE 4330 Shakespeare for the Theatre
- THE 4401 American Drama
- THE 4434 Caribbean Theatre
- THE 4480 Drama Special Topics
- THE 4574 Sport as Performance
- Note: By prior agreement between the director and instructor the Honors sequence in its entirety (THE 4593, 4594, 4595) may substitute for one Theatre History/Literature course requirement.
- TPA 4293 Production Involvement II
- TPP 4193 Studio Theatre Performance II
Fourth Year (3 credit hours):
- THE 4562 Contemporary Performance Theory
Concentration Core Courses - 21 Hours
- Additional 3 credit hours of TPP Courses
- Additional 18 credit hours of THE; TPA; TPP Courses
- (9 credit hours must be at the upper level)