Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
Sociology (SOC) with a concentration in Identity and Community (IDC)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 45.1101 - Track 2 of 2
College of Arts & Sciences
The Department of Sociology offers an optional area of concentration in "Identity and Community" for Sociology majors. Courses included in this area of concentration focus on the changing relationships among individuals and their communities in light of technological advances, globalization, environmental crises, political developments, and social problems. This area of concentration will be listed on your official transcript and can be useful as you market your skills to potential employers after graduation.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- SYA XXXX or SYD XXXX or SYG XXXX or SYO XXXX or SYP XXXX (6 credit hours)
Required Supporting Courses for the Major: 3 Hours
The following courses are prerequisite and supporting courses for this major. They are required for the major, but are not counted in the total hours for this major. The degree will not be awarded if these courses have not been taken by the end of the student’s final semester.
- STA 2122 Social Science Statistics or its equivalent
Total Major Hours: 36 Hours
Major Core - 12 Hours
The minimum of 36 credit hours in Sociology must include the following four core courses (12 credit hours):
- SYG 2000 Introduction to Sociology
- (May be replaced with an upper level sociology elective if a total of 12 or more hours of sociology coursework is completed before declaring a Sociology major)
- SYA 3110 Classical Theory
- SYA 3300 Research Methods (PR: STA 2122 Social Science Statistics or its equivalent)
- SYA 4935 Senior Seminar
Concentration Core Courses - 3 Hours
- SYP 4111 Identity and Community
Concentration Elective Courses - 21 Hours
Select nine (9) credit hours of coursework from the following list:
- SYA 3310 Qualitative Inquiry
- SYA 4121 Queer Theory
- SYD 3700 Racial and Ethnic Relations
- SYD 4238 Immigrants to America
- SYD 4410 Urban Sociology
- SYD 4411 Urban Life
- SYG 3235 Latina/Latino Lives
- SYO 3120 Sociology of Families
- SYO 3200 Sociology of Religion
- SYO 3460 Sociology of the Media
- SYO 4204 Religion and Immigration
- SYO 4573 Social Networks
- SYP 3562 Family Violence
- SYP 4012 Emotions in Society
- SYP 4420 Consumer Culture
- SYP 4510 Sociological Aspects of Deviance
- SYP 4650 Sport in Society
- SYP 4675 Animals & Society
- SYP 4763 Sociology of Childhood and Youth
- SYA 4304 Sociological Research Experience - with approval
- SYA 4910 Individual Research - with approval
- SYA 4949 Sociological Internship - with approval
- SYA 4930 Topics in Sociology - approved topics
- Contemporary Bodies
- Transitions to Adulthood
- Self and Society
- Muslims in America
- Social Media and Globalization
- Sociology of Culture
- Afro-Brazilian Culture and Society - summer study abroad course
The remaining 12 hours of Sociology coursework may be comprised of any upper-level courses offered by the Sociology department.