Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
Public Health (PUB)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 51.2201
College of Public Health
USF offers the first Bachelor's in Public Health housed in its accredited College of Public Health in Florida. The Bachelor of Science in Public Health provides the student-centered courses required for entry-level public health jobs found in government agencies, health corporations, community non-profit organizations and healthcare facilities.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students desiring to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the University's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this program.
Total Major Hours: 54 Hours
Major Core Courses - 30 Hours
- HSC 4211 Health, Behavior and Society
- HSC 4551 Survey of Human Diseases
- HSC 4624 Foundations of Global Health
- HSC 4630 Understanding U.S. Health Care
- PHC 3302 Introduction to Environmental & Occupational Health
- PHC 4030 Introduction to Epidemiology
- PHC 4069 Biostatistics in Society
- PHC 4101 Overview of Public Health Programs and Policies
- PHC 4117 Workforce & Leadership Development
- PHC 4464 Introduction to Health Disparities & Social Determ
Major Elective Courses - 24 Hours
Skills Courses (12 credit hours)
- HSC 4631 Critical Issues in Public Health* (CPST and 6ACT)
- PHC 4720 Foundation to Professional Writing in Public Health (WRIN and 6ACT)
- PHC 4755 Foundations of Evaluation and Research
- Pick one course:
Specialization Electives (12 credit hours)
Students may choose (but are not required) an area of specialization and take 12 credit hours from that chosen area:
- HSC 4573 Foundations of Food Safety
- HUN 3126 Food and Culture
- HUN 3272 Sports Nutrition
- HUN 3296 Nutrition and Disease
- HSC 4504 Foundations of Public Health Immunology
- HSC 4573 Foundations of Food Safety
- PHC 4031 Emerging Infectious Diseases
- PHC 4032 Foundations of Infection Control
- PHC 4141 Intervention Program Planning and Management
- PHC 4501 Health Education Theory and Behavior
- PHC 4582 Health Education Methods and Strategies
- Select one course from the following list:
ENVIRONMENTAL AND OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH
- HSC 3503 Principles of Toxicology
- HSC 4213 Environmental and Occupational Risk Analysis
- HSC 4430 Occupational Health and Safety
- PHC 3320 Environmental Health Science
- PHC 4188 Public Health Emergencies in Large Populations
- PHC 4234 Public and Private Continuity Planning for Emergencies
- PHC 4375 Community Participation in Homeland Security
- PHC 4376 Disaster by Design: Exercise Development for Homeland Security Professionals
Lower-Level Public Health Electives (Choose up to 2 courses)
The following lower-level courses are not required for the major, but may be taken and applied toward the toal degree hours requirement (120 hours).
Additional Major Requirements
Major GPA Requirement
Maintain a major GPA of 2.0 in USF coursework.
Major Grade Requirement
None of the coursework taken in the student's major may be taken as an S/U grade, unless S/U is the only grading option. Coursework fulfilling the State Communication Requirement (formerly known as Gordon Rule Writing) and State Computation Requirement (formerly known as Gordon Rule Math) and General Education requirements may not be taken as S/U.
The Audit option is available only during the first 5 days of classes.
Grades of D+ or lower are not acceptable in the major.
Major Residency Requirement
Thirty (30) of the last 60 semester hours must be completed at USF to fulfill the residency requirement.