Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 52.0201
Muma College of Business
The undergraduate major in Management prepares students to manage and lead all aspects of organizations. It also prepares students for graduate study in business and other fields.
Mastery of course content enables students to inspire themselves, others, teams, and organizations to coordinate efforts to provide effective outcomes. Content covered includes ethics and virtue, organizational behavior, human resources, domestic and international cultural differences, and negotiating skills. A capstone course integrates the learning objectives of the major in a study of a real company where students demonstrate that they can now apply effectively what they have learned.
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business is an upper-level, limited access college, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student's program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in Management only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies, SVC 2002, (813) 974-4051, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- *ACG X021/ACG X022 Financial Accounting (or ACG X001 & ACG X011)
- *ACG X071 Managerial Accounting (or X301)
- CGS X100 Computers in Business (or acceptable substitute, i.e., CGS X100C, CGS X530, CGS X570, CGS X531, CGS X000, MAN X812)
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus or MAC 2230
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or QMB X100 or STA X122 (although STA X023 and QMB X100 are preferred).
Total Major Hours: 21 Hours
Within the 120-semester-hour program, students must complete 21 hours of management coursework beyond MAN 3025.
A grade point average of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all major course work at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA including transfer work. At least 15 hours must be taken in residence at USF Tampa.
Major Core Courses - 12 Hours
- MAN 3240 Organizational Behavior Analysis
- MAN 3301 Human Resource Management
- MAN 4282 Organizational Assessment
- MAN 4737 Integrated Management Applications
Major Elective Courses - 9 Hours
- ENT 4024 Small Business Management - Entrepreneurship
- GEY 4635 Business Management in an Aging Society
- MAN 4063 Management Ethics
- MAN 4402 Employment Laws
- MAN 4441 Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- MAN 4600 International Management
- MAN 4631 Global Perspectives and Management Choices
- MAN 4930 Selected Topics in Management
- MAN 4940 Management Internship
Additional Major Requirements
Major GPA RequirementA grade point average of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all major course work at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA including transfer work.
Major Residency RequirementAt least 15 hours must be taken in residence at USF Tampa.
Additional Major Information
- Orientation for freshmen and transfer students.
- Academic advising and program information for pre-business students who have applied to the Muma College of Business and declared business as their intended major.
- Students who meet all Muma College of Business admission requirements.
- Evaluation of undergraduate transcripts for all declared and admitted business transfer students.
- Maintenance of academic advising records.
- Certification of graduation.
Location: C.H. Ferguson Hall (Business Administration Building) (BSN) 2102, (813) 974-4290 or schedule an advising appointment on-line: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/advising/.
Office Hours: 8am-6pm Monday-Thursday and 8am-4pm on Friday. Please refer to website for most current office hours information.
Chairperson: M. Agrawal; Professor Emeritus: C.F. Cohen, R.E. Dutton, K. VanVoorhis; Professors: J.M. Jermier, M. Karlins, J. Koehler, W.R. Nord; Associate Professors: A. Balfour, C.E. Michaels, Jr.; Instructors: W.J. Cames, R. Chavarry, T. de Veerde, K.D. MacAulay.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There is internship information associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Hide