Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
Integrative Animal Biology (IAB)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 26.0101 - Track 1 of 2
College of Arts & Sciences
Students majoring in Integrative Animal Biology study the biology of animals. The program of study explores the structure and function of invertebrates, humans, and other vertebrates. The objective of the program is to provide students with a firm foundation in basic biology and the tools necessary to function as professional biologists, with special emphasis on animals. The program will prepare students for further education (e.g., medicine, veterinary medicine, animal biology, evolutionary biology) or for careers in fields such as medical assistance, veterinary assistance, animal care, and aquarium and zoo biology and education.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- BSC X010/X010L Biology I with Lab or BSC X010C or BSC X040/X040L
- BSC X011/X011L Biology II with Lab or BSC X011C or BSC X041/X041L or ZOO X010/X010L or BOT X010/X010L or BOT X013/X013L
- CHM X045/X045L General Chemistry I with Lab or CHM X045C or CHM X040 and CHM X041
- CHM X046/X046L General Chemistry II with Lab or CHM X046C
- CHM X210/X210L Organic Chemistry I with Lab and CHM X211/X211L or (CHM X210C and CHM X211C) or (PHY X053/X053L and PHY X054/X054L) or (PHY X048/X048L and PHY X049/X049L)
- MAC X311 Calculus I or MAC X233 or MAC X253 or MAC X281 or MAC X241
- MAC X312 Calculus II or MAC X282 or MAC X234 or STA X023 or STA X024 or STA X321
Required Supporting Courses for the Major: 32-34 Hours
The following courses are prerequisite and supporting courses for this major. They are required for the major, but are not counted in the total hours for this major. The degree will not be awarded if these courses have not been taken by the end of the student’s final semester.
- CHM 2045 and CHM 2045L General Chemistry I and Laboratory
- CHM 2046 and CHM 2046L General Chemistry II and Laboratory
- CHM 2210 and CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I and Laboratory
- CHM 2211 and CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II and Laboratory
- Calculus I: MAC 2241 or MAC 2311 or MAC 2281
- Statistics or Calculus II: STA 2023 or MAC 2242 or MAC 2312 or MAC 2282
- One of the Physics Sequences:
- PHY 2053/2053L General Physics II and PHY 2054/2054L General Physics II
- PHY 2048/2048L General Physics I - Calculus Based and PHY 2049/2049L General Physics II - Calculus Based
Students must receive a C- or better to meet requirements for degree (for progression in Math and CHM, a C is required).
Total Major Hours: 40 Hours
Major Core Courses - 24 Hours
Biology Core Curriculum: 16 credit hours
- BSC 2010 Cellular Processes
- BSC 2010L Cellular Processes Laboratory
- BSC 2011 Biodiversity
- BSC 2011L Biodiversity Laboratory
- PCB 3043 Principles of Ecology
- PCB 3043L Principles of Ecology Laboratory
- PCB 3063 General Genetics
- PCB 3063L General Genetics Laboratory
Structure and Function Courses: 8 credit hours
Choose one Structure & Function Pairing from the following list:
- Invertebrate Biology
- Vertebrate Biology
- Human Biology
Major Elective Courses - 16 Hours
Choose 16 additional hours of Integrative Animal Biology Major courses (8 of the 16 hours must be 4000+ level Biology Major Courses), from Tampa Campus IB Department or CMMB Department course offerings (prefix of BOT, BSC, MCB, PCB, or ZOO), with the exception of BSC 4905 and courses labeled as “not for major credit”.
- Students must complete a minimum of 40 credit hours of major coursework.
- Most advanced biology courses are not offered every semester; there are no set offerings for summer semesters.
- Maximum of four (4) semester hours BSC 4910 Undergraduate Research can apply
- OCE 4930 Selected Topics in Marine Science: Advanced Oceanography I and II OR BCH 4033 Advanced Biochemistry I are the only approved non-Biology elective course options not offered by IB or CMMB departments.
- BCH 4033 Advanced Biochemistry I will NOT count towards the 8 credit hours of 4000+level major elective