Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 52.0801
Muma College of Business
The Finance major provides a broad-based, analytical program for students anticipating a career in the management of both large and small organizations. Finance provides a good background for students seeking general careers in business. Finance majors can elect to take courses in the following areas that prepare them for entry and advanced careers in: financial management of corporations, management of financial institutions, investments, financial services, insurance, and real estate.
In addition, the program in Finance is designed to provide the skills required by students earning degrees in other business disciplines and by students who seek professional degrees in areas such as law and public administration.
The Finance program offers courses that enable the graduate to identify and solve problems in the acquisition and allocation of funds by organizations in the public and private sectors in domestic and international settings. It provides the background necessary for managing wealth in a risky environment. Finance relies on an interdisciplinary approach that draws on economic theory, accounting, information systems, and the quantitative decision frameworks of statistics and mathematics.
The major is designed to ensure that graduates are familiar with the tools of financial decision making and that they possess the skills to stay abreast of the developments in the field. Finance graduates will understand the functions and operations of financial markets, become familiar with computer applications in finance, and know how to access and utilize financial information. Course content is designed to provide majors with an appreciation of cooperative work skills and to enhance their verbal and written communication skills.
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business is an upper-level, limited access college, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
The Finance department has an additional admission requirement beyond the entry requirements for the Muma College of Business. Students are required to:
- Pass FIN 3403 with a minimum grade of C, not C-, with no more than two (2) attempts. "W" grades count as an attempt.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student's program at USF.
Florida public state and community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state and community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in Management only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies, SVC 2002, (813) 974-4051, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- *ACG X021 or ACG X022 Financial Accounting or (ACG X001 & ACG X011)
- *ACG X071 Managerial Accounting (or ACG X301)
- CGS X100 Computers in Business (or acceptable substitute, i.e., CGS X100C, CGS X530, CGS X570, CGS X060, CGS X531, CGS X000, ISM X000, CGS X518)
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus or MAC X230
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or QMB X100 or STA X122 (although STA X023 and QMB X100 are preferred).
Total Major Hours: 21 Hours
Within the 120-semester-hour program listed in the Business General Requirement section (including the state mandated common prerequisites), students must complete a minimum of 21 hours of upper-level finance courses beyond FIN 3403.
Students choose to enroll as either:
- a Finance major or
- a Finance major with a concentration in Asset Management or
- a Finance major with a concentration in Corporate Finance
Major Core Courses - 9 Hours
- FIN 4453 Finance Information Technology
- FIN 4504 Principles of Investments
- FIN 4443 Financial Policies and Strategies*
*FIN 4443 is a capstone course that should be taken in the final semester of the major (or as close as possible).
Major Elective Courses - 12 Hours
Four upper-level Finance electives
Finance electives can be selected from among those 3000- and 4000-level classes that have FIN, REE, and RMI prefixes. At least two electives must have an FIN prefix. Independent Study (FIN 4905) and Independent Research (FIN 4915) will not be accepted as credit toward the minimum degree requirements for a major in Finance.
- FIN 3233 Money and Banking
- FIN 3604 International Finance
- FIN 4303 Financial Institutions and Markets
- FIN 4412 Working Capital Management
- FIN 4414 Advanced Corporate Finance
- FIN 4461 Financial Statement Analysis
- FIN 4514 Advanced Investment Analysis and Management
- FIN 4533 Financial Options & Futures
- FIN 4560 Applied Securities Analysis
- FIN 4940 Finance Internship
- REE 3043 Real Estate Decision Making
Additional Major Requirements
Major GPA RequirementA grade point average of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all major course work at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA including transfer work.
Major Grade RequirementStudents are required to earn a C- or higher in all finance courses that are counted toward the major requirements.
Major Residency Requirement
At least 15 hours must be taken in residence at USF Tampa.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There is internship information associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More