Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018
Environmental Microbiology (EMB)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 26.0101 - Track 1 of 2
College of Arts & Sciences
Students majoring in Environmental Microbiology study the roles that microorganisms play in the environment. The program of study explores the diversity, community structure, and ecological functioning of microorganisms. The objective of the program is to provide students with a firm foundation in basic biology and the tools necessary to function as professional biologists, with special emphasis on microorganisms in natural ecosystems and human-engineered systems. The program will prepare students for further education (microbiology, environmental science, conservation biology) or for careers in fields such as environmental monitoring and safety, characterization and control of pathogenic microorganisms, and bioremediation.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- BSC X010/X010L Biology I with Lab or BSC X010C or BSC X040/X040L
- BSC X011/X011L Biology II with Lab or BSC X011C or BSC X041/X041L or ZOO X010/X010L or BOT X010/X010L or BOT X013/X013L
- CHM X045/X045L General Chemistry I with Lab or CHM X045C or CHM X040 and CHM X041
- CHM X046/X046L General Chemistry II with Lab or CHM X046C
- CHM X210/X210L Organic Chemistry I with Lab and CHM X211/X211L or (CHM X210C and CHM X211C) or (PHY X053/X053L and PHY X054/X054L) or (PHY X048/X048L and PHY X049/X049L)
- MAC X311 Calculus I or MAC X233 or MAC X253 or MAC X281 or MAC X241
- MAC X312 Calculus II or MAC X282 or MAC X234 or STA X023 or STA X024 or STA X321
Required Supporting Courses for the Major: 32-34 Hours
The following courses are prerequisite and supporting courses for this major. They are required for the major, but are not counted in the total hours for this major. The degree will not be awarded if these courses have not been taken by the end of the student’s final semester.
- CHM 2045 and CHM 2045L General Chemistry I and Laboratory
- CHM 2046 and CHM 2046L General Chemistry II and Laboratory
- CHM 2210 and CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I and Laboratory
- CHM 2211 and CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II and Laboratory
- Calculus I: MAC 2241 or MAC 2311 or MAC or MAC 2281
- Statistics or Calculus II: STA 2023 or MAC 2242 or MAC 2312 or MAC 2282
- One of the Physics Sequences:
- PHY 2053/2053L General Physics II and PHY 2054/2054L General Physics II
- PHY 2048/2048L General Physics I - Calculus Based and PHY 2049/2049L General Physics II - Calculus Based
Students must receive a C- or better to meet requirements for degree (for progression in Math and CHM, a C is required).
Total Major Hours: 40 Hours
Major Core Courses - 30 Hours
Biology Core: (16 hours)
- BSC 2010 and BSC 2010L Cellular Processes and Laboratory
- BSC 2011 and BSC 2011L Biodiversity and Laboratory
- PCB 3043 and PCB 3043L Principles of Ecology and Laboratory
- PCB 3063 and PCB 3063L General Genetics and Laboratory
Environmental Microbiology Core: (14 hours)
- MCB 3020 and MCB 3020L General Microbiology and Laboratory
- MCB 4404 and MCB 4404L Microbial Physiology and Genetics and Laboratory
Choose two of the following courses:
- BSC 4933 Selected Topics in Biology*
- BSC 4444 Genomics
- MCB 4202 Ecology of Infectious Diseases
- ZOO 4233 Parasitology
*Selected topics as approved for the major by the Department of Integrative Biology
Major Elective Courses - 10 Hours
Select a minimum of 10 credit hours from the following list:
- BCH 4033 Advanced Biochemistry I
- BSC 2093C Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- BSC 2094C Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- Any upper-level course with a BOT, BSC, ENY, MCB, PCB, or ZOO prefix, with the exception of those intended for non-majors*
*Note: BSC 4933 cannot be taken as elective credit without prior approval.
Additional Major Requirements
All students majoring in one of the programs offered through the departments of Integrative or Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology and entering USF for the first time, in Fall 2009 or later, who subsequently earn three (3) D and/or F grades in USF coursework for their major and/or supporting coursework will be required to change to majors more appropriate to their goals and academic performances. Those majors may not include any conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
All continuing USF students who entered USF prior to Fall 2009 and who have not earned any D or F grades in USF major coursework or supporting coursework by the beginning of Fall 2009, will also be allowed three (3) D and/or F grades in subsequent terms before being required to choose another major more appropriate to their goals and academic performances, and not including any conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
Any continuing USF students who enter USF prior to Fall 2009 and who have earned greater than or equal to one (1) D or F grade in USF coursework for their major coursework or supporting coursework by the beginning of Fall 2009, will be allowed only two (2) more D and/or F grades in subsequent semesters before being required to choose other majors more appropriate to their goals and academic performances, and not including any majors conferred by the Department of Chemistry, Department of Integrative Biology or Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology and Molecular Biology.
Grade Forgiveness will NOT apply to the mandated requirement of changing major.
Major GPA RequirementMust maintain a 2.0 GPA in all major coursework.
Major Grade Requirement
A student must receive a C- grade or better in all Department of Integrative Biology and Department of Cell Biology, Microbiology, and Molecular Biology courses and supporting courses in the natural sciences and mathematics, except if they are used as general elective courses. This specification applies to both USF and transfer courses.
Major Residency Requirement
A minimum of 20 credit hours of courses must be taken in residency and be applicable to the major.
Once a student has matriculated to USF Tampa, he/she is expected to take 100 percent of the required major coursework at USF Tampa.
More About this Major
This major has an accelerated track that confers an undergraduate and graduate degree upon completion.Show Me More
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More