Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
Chemistry (CHM) with a concentration in Biochemistry/Biotechnology (CBY)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 40.0501 - Track 1 of 2
College of Arts & Sciences
The Biochemistry/Biotechnology concentration offers a unique opportunity for students to pursue later studies and/or professional emphasis in Biochemistry and Biotechnology along with a strong foundation in the chemical knowledge and skills that are essential to these areas.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- CHM X045/CHM X045L General Chemistry I (with laboratory) or CHM 1040 and 1041 or 1045C
- CHM X046/CHM X046L General Chemistry II or CHM 1046C
- MAC 2311 Calculus I or MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus I
- MAC 2312 Calculus II or MAC 2282 Engineering Calculus II
- CHM 2210/CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I & Laboratory or CHM 2210C
- CHM 2211/CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II & Laboratory or CHM 2211C
- PHY 2048/PHY 2048L Gen Physics I & Laboratory or PHY 2048C or PHY 2053C or PHY 2053 and PHY 2053L
- PHY 2049/PHY 2049L Gen Physics II & Laboratory or PHY 2049C or PHY 2054C or PHY 2054 and PHY 2054L
Required Supporting Courses for the Major: 24 Hours
The following courses are prerequisite and supporting courses for this major. They are required for the major, but are not counted in the total hours for this major. The degree will not be awarded if these courses have not been taken by the end of the student’s final semester.
- BSC 2010 Cellular Processes
- BSC 2010L Cellular Processes Laboratory
- PCB 3023 Cell Biology
- PCB 3023L Cell Biology Laboratory
- MAC 2311 Calculus 1 and MAC 2312 Calculus II
- MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus I and MAC 2282 Engineering Calculus II are also accepted for this major
- PHY 2053 General Physics I and PHY 2053L General Physics I Laboratory and PHY 2054 General Physics II and PHY 2054L General Physics II Laboratory or PHY 2048 General Physics I-Calculus Based and PHY 2048L General Physics I-Calculus Based Laboratory and PHY 2049 General Physics II-Calculus Based and PHY 2049L General Physics II-Calculus Based Laboratory
Total Major Hours: 39 Hours
Students are required to complete 39 credits of degree applicable Chemistry coursework.
Concentration Core Courses - 30 Hours
- CHM 2045 General Chemistry I
- CHM 2045L General Chemistry I Lab
- CHM 2046 General Chemistry II
- CHM 2046L General Chemistry II Lab
- CHM 2210 Organic Chemistry I
- CHM 2210L Organic Chemistry I Lab
- CHM 2211 Organic Chemistry II
- CHM 2211L Organic Chemistry II Lab
- CHM 3120C Elementary Analytical Chemistry I
- BCH 4033 Advanced Biochemistry I
- BCH 3023L Basic Biochemistry Laboratory
- BCH 4034 Advanced Biochemistry II
Concentration Elective Courses - 9 Hours
Minimum of 9 hours selected from the following:
- CHM 3610 Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
- CHM 3610L Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry Lab
- CHM 4060 Use of Chemical Literature
- CHM 4300 Biomolecules I
- CHM 4070 Historical Perspectives in Chemistry
- CHM 4230 Spectroscopic Analysis of Organic Compounds
- CHM 4274 Introduction to Drug Discovery
- CHM 4292 Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry
- CHM 4307 BioOrganic Chemistry
- CHM 4455 Chemistry of High Polymers
- CHM 4410 Physical Chemistry
- CHM 4410L Physical Chemistry Lab
- CHM 4411 Physical Chemistry II
- CHM 4413 Biophysical Chemistry
- CHM 4932 Selected Topics in Chemistry*
*Contact Advisor for approval of CHM 4932 Courses