Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
Mathematics Education (BMA) with a concentration in Middle School Mathematics (BMM)
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A. or B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1311 - Track 2 of 2
College of Education
This program is part of the Helios STEM Middle School Teacher Residency Program in the Department of Secondary Education. Collaboratively developed with Hillsborough County Public Schools (HCPS), this program is designed to prepare effective teachers of middle grades mathematics who are able to meet the needs of a diverse student population. This program includes extensive field experiences, including a yearlong residency using a co-teach model with a HCPS teacher. Program graduates will be eligible for certification in Middle Grades Mathematics 5-9.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- EDF X005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- MAC X311 Calculus I
- MAC XXXX (four credit hours)
A minimum of 6 semester hours with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
**Courses specified in this category may apply to the USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Core Curriculum coursework.
Total Major Hours: 64 Hours
Major Core - 18 Hours
Professional Education Courses (18 hours):
- EDF 3214 Human Development and Learning
- EDF 3604 Schools and Society (WRIN)
- EDF 4430 Measurement for Teachers
- EEX 4070 Integrating Exceptional Students in the Regular Classroom
- TSL 4324 ESOL Competencies and Strategies
- ESE 4322 Classroom Management for Diverse School and Society
The STEM Middle School Mathematics program is a cohort, residency program.
Concentration Core Courses - 46 Hours
Concentration Courses (46 hours):
- EDM 3403 Middle Level Education
- EDM 3620 Teaching the Young Adolescent Learner
- EDM 4406 Contemporary Issues in STEM Education (CPST)
- MAE 3224 Middle School Mathematics Methods Course 1
- MAE 3225 Middle School Mathematics Methods Course 2
- MAE 3941 Practicum I: Middle School Mathematics Education
- MAE 3942 Practicum II: Middle School Mathematics Education
- MAE 4551 Reading the Language of Mathematics
- MAE 4941 Internship I: Middle School Mathematics Education
- MAE 4942 Internship II: Middle School Mathematics Education
- MAS 3108 Algebra Connections
- MAS 3205 Number Concepts Connections
- MTG 3207 Geometry Connections
- STA 3027 Statistics and Probability Connections