Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018
Mathematics Education (BMA)
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A. or B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1311 - Track 1 of 2
College of Education
The Bachelors in Mathematics Education program explores educational foundations, methods, and theory and practice of teaching mathematics at grades 6-12. This program is designed to prepare effective teachers of middle and high school mathematics who are knowledgeable, reflective, caring, and are able to meet the needs of a diverse student population.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- EDF X005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- MAC X311 Calculus I
- MAC X312 Calculus II
- MAC XXXX or MTG XXXX or MAS XXXX Mathematics Electives
A minimum of 6 semester hours with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
**Courses specified in this category may apply to the USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Core Curriculum coursework.
Total Major Hours: 70 Hours
Major Core Courses - 70 Hours
Professional Education (18 credit hours):
- EDF 3214 Human Development and Learning
- EDF 3604 Schools and Society (WRIN)
- EDF 4430 Measurement for Teachers
- EEX 4070 Integrating Exceptional Students in the Regular Classroom
- TSL 4324 ESOL Competencies and Strategies
- ESE 4322 Classroom Management for Diverse School and Society
Specialization (25 credit hours):
- MAC 2313 Calculus III
- MAD 3107 Discrete Mathematics
- MAS 3105 Linear Algebra or MAS 4301 Elementary Abstract Algebra
- MAS 4214 Elementary Number Theory
- MGF 3301 Bridge to Abstract Mathematics
- MHF 4403 The History of Mathematics Education (Writing Intensive Exit)
- MTG 3212 Geometry or MTG 4214 Modern Geometry
- STA 2023 Introductory Statistics I
Additional Specialization (27 credit hours):
- MAE 4320 Teaching Mathematics in the Middle Grades
- MAE 4330 Teaching Senior High School Mathematics
- MAE 4551 Reading the Language of Mathematics
- MAE 4652 Technology for Teaching Secondary School Mathematics
- MAE 4945 Practicum in Mathematics Education
- MAE 4940 Internship: Mathematics Education
- MAE 4936 Senior Seminar in Mathematics Education (Capstone)
Additional Major Requirements
Students seeking admission to this program must meet the following Department of Education's Teacher Educator Certification requirements:
- Earn a 2.5 overall GPA;
- Complete all general education and state mandated common prerequisite courses with a C- or higher in each;
- Pass all sections of the General Knowledge Test. Information can be found at http://www.usf.edu/education/academics/teacher-certification/general-knowledge-test.aspx;
- Submit an application to Student Academic Services, EDU 106, 813-974-2979.
Applications can be found at http://www.usf.edu/education/advising/undergraduate/coedu-applications.aspx.
Major GPA Requirement
Once admitted, students must maintain a 2.5 overall GPA and earn a 2.5 in all upper-level coursework in the major, including Core and Specialization courses.
Major Course Grade Requirement
Students must earn a C- or higher in all upper-level courses in the major.
Major Residency Requirement
A student must complete 32 hours of major coursework at USF Tampa to meet residency requirements.
Major Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) RequirementFKL Core Curriculum courses (General Education) will be determined by the Florida College System institution or university where the student currently is earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree, and will be published in the institution's existing catalog or in the Counseling Manual. (For USF, see "Academic Policies and Procedures - Liberal Arts Requirements" section of the catalog.)
Major Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Exit Requirement
All undergraduate students in any degree program can participate in undergraduate research. There are a number of options to receive academic credit for a mentored research experience and to have the experience show on the official transcript. Students who wish to enroll in an undergraduate research course should consult with their academic advisor to understand how the credit will apply towards the degree requirements. If no credit is needed, students may be eligible to enroll in the 0-credit IDS 2912 or IDS 4914 courses. These courses will not impact degree credits or GPA but will show on an official transcript and document the experience. The Office for Undergraduate Research will assist students in understanding the various course options.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Hide
There is internship information associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More