Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
Mathematics Education (BMA)
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A. or B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1311 - Track 1 of 2
College of Education
The Bachelors in Mathematics Education program explores educational foundations, methods, and theory and practice of teaching mathematics at grades 6-12. This program is designed to prepare effective teachers of middle and high school mathematics who are knowledgeable, reflective, caring, and are able to meet the needs of a diverse student population.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- EDF X005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- MAC X311 Calculus I
- MAC X312 Calculus II
- MAC XXXX or MTG XXXX or MAS XXXX Mathematics Electives
A minimum of 6 semester hours with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
**Courses specified in this category may apply to the USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning (FKL) Core Curriculum coursework.
Total Major Hours: 70 Hours
Major Core Courses - 70 Hours
Professional Education (18 credit hours):
- EDF 3214 Human Development and Learning
- EDF 3604 Schools and Society (WRIN)
- EDF 4430 Measurement for Teachers
- EEX 4070 Integrating Exceptional Students in the Regular Classroom
- TSL 4324 ESOL Competencies and Strategies
- ESE 4322 Classroom Management for Diverse School and Society
Specialization (25 credit hours):
- MAC 2313 Calculus III
- MAD 3107 Discrete Mathematics
- MAS 3105 Linear Algebra or MAS 4301 Elementary Abstract Algebra
- MAS 4214 Elementary Number Theory
- MGF 3301 Bridge to Abstract Mathematics
- MHF 4403 The History of Mathematics Education (Writing Intensive Exit)
- MTG 3212 Geometry or MTG 4214 Modern Geometry
- STA 2023 Introductory Statistics I
Additional Specialization (27 credit hours):
- MAE 4320 Teaching Mathematics in the Middle Grades
- MAE 4330 Teaching Senior High School Mathematics
- MAE 4551 Reading the Language of Mathematics
- MAE 4652 Technology for Teaching Secondary School Mathematics
- MAE 4945 Practicum in Mathematics Education
- MAE 4940 Internship: Mathematics Education
- MAE 4936 Senior Seminar in Mathematics Education (Capstone)