Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Public Health (GPU)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0102
USF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion program that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS major provides mid-career, adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic plans. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
Students pursuing a Bachelor of General Studies degree are restricted from declaring a minor, due to USF's degree progression policy.
Students may not pursue the Bachelor of General Studies as a second major, dual degree, or second or post-baccalaureate degree. Baccalaureate degree holders who wish to pursue further education are encouraged to pursue admission into a graduate degree program of study.
Upon completion of the Public Health concentration coursework, a student will be able to articulate the role of public health in disease prevention and health promotion at the local, state, national and global level, describe public health concepts and issues, discuss and analyze current public health issues, describe career paths in public health, and develop an understanding of public health that can serve as a foundation for graduate coursework in the field.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students desiring to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the University's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this program.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 HoursUSF Capstone EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 9 Hours
- HSC 4551 Survey of Human Diseases
- PHC 4030 Introduction to Epidemiology
- PHC 4101 Overview of Public Health Programs and Policies
Concentration Elective Courses - 12 Hours
Choose 12 credit hours from the following list of courses:
- HSC 4172 Women’s Health: A Public Health Perspective
- HSC 4211 Health, Behavior and Society
- HSC 4430 Occupational Health and Safety
- HSC 4504 Foundations of Public Health Immunology
- HSC 4573 Foundations of Food Safety
- HSC 4579 Foundations of Maternal and Child Health
- HSC 4624 Foundations of Global Health
- HSC 4630 Understanding U.S. Health Care
- HSC 4631 Critical Issues in Public Health
- HSC 4933 Special Topics in Public Health
- HUN 3126 Food and Culture
- HUN 3272 Sports Nutrition
- HUN 3296 Nutrition and Disease
- PHC 4031 Emerging Infectious Diseases
- PHC 4032 Foundations of Infection Control
- PHC 4069 Biostatistics in Society
- PHC 4241 Psychology of Fear & Mental Health Issues Related to Disasters
- PHC 4720 Foundation to Professional Writing in Public Health