Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Computer Systems Technology (GCST)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0102
USF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion program that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS major provides mid-career, adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic plans. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
Students pursuing a Bachelor of General Studies degree are restricted from declaring a minor, due to USF's degree progression policy.
Students may not pursue the Bachelor of General Studies as a second major, dual degree, or second or post-baccalaureate degree. Baccalaureate degree holders who wish to pursue further education are encouraged to pursue admission into a graduate degree program of study.
The Computer Systems Technology concentration is designed to teach students the fundamentals of computer systems and their application. Emphasis is placed on computer technology, as well as programming and applications, in an era of rapidly changing computer technology. Entrance requirement for concentration: Students must have prior experience and/or coursework in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a closely related field.
Students must take CGS 1540 Introduction to Databases for Information Technology and COP 2512 Programming Fundmentals for Information Technology in their first semester in the concentration, if the courses were not taken prior to transferring to USF. Students must receive a minimum grade of C- in both courses to progress in the Computer Systems Technology concentration. If a student does not receive, enroll, and/or meet the minimum grade requirements for CGS 1540 and COP 2512, he/she will be required to choose another BGS concentration.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students desiring to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the University's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this program.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 HoursUSF Capstone EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 18 Hours
- CGS 1540 Introduction to Databases for Information Technology
- CGS 3303 Information Technology Concepts
- COP 2512 Programming Fundamentals for Information Technology
- COP 2513 Object Oriented Programming for Information Technology
- COP 3515 Advanced Program Design for Information Technology
- MAD 2104 Discrete Math
Concentration Elective Courses - 3 Hours
Students choose three (3) credit hours from the following list of courses:
- CEN 3722 Human Computer Interfaces for Information Technology
- CEN 4360 Mobile Applications Development for IT
- CGS 3845 Electronic Commerce
- CIS 3213 Foundations of Cyber Security
- CIS 3433 System Integration and Architecture for Information Technology
- CIS 4204 Ethical Hacking
- CIS 4361 Information Assurance and Security Management for IT
- CIS 4412 Resource Management for Information Technology
- CNT 4104/CNT 4104L Computer Information Networks for Information Technology with Lab
- COP 3353 User-Level Introduction to Linux for IT
- COP 4564 Application Maintenance and Debugging for IT
- CTS 4337 Linux Workstations System Administration for Information Technology
The above electives may not be offered every semester. Additional electives may be possible. Please consult with the Department of Computer Science and Engineering undergraduate academic advisor.
Additional Major Requirements
Upon acceptance to the BGS major, students will complete the necessary coursework to reach 120 credit hours. The 120 credit hour requirement includes completing the following:
- USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning General Education requirements or approved equivalents - unless GE credits were completed at another Florida institution.
- All USF exit requirements
- Foreign Language Entrance Requirement
- One or two disciplinary concentrations selected by the student and approved by the advisor
- A minimum of 42 semester hours of upper-level work (courses numbered 3000 and above)
Entrance Requirement for the Computer Systems Technology concentration: Students must have prior experience and/or coursework in Information Technology, Computer Science, Networking, or a closely related field.
Major Residency Requirement
At least 30 hours earned at USF Tampa.