Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Business (GBU)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0102
USF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion program that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS major provides mid-career, adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic plans. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
Students pursuing a Bachelor of General Studies degree are restricted from declaring a minor, due to USF's degree progression policy.
Students may not pursue the Bachelor of General Studies as a second major, dual degree, or second or post-baccalaureate degree. Baccalaureate degree holders who wish to pursue further education are encouraged to pursue admission into a graduate degree program of study.
The Business concentration will give students exposure to the basic elements of all business disciplines. The goal of the Business concentration is to provide students the opportunity to pursue a broad-based study of upper-level coursework in business with electives from outside the college to meet career preparation goals.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students desiring to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the University's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this program.
Total Major Hours: 27 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 HoursUSF Capstone EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 24 Hours
- ACG 2021 Principles of Financial Accounting
- ACG 2071 Principles of Managerial Accounting
- ECO 2013 Economic Principles (Macroeconomics)
- ECO 2023 Economic Principles (Microeconomics)
- FIN 3403 Principles of Finance
- GEB 4890 Strategic Management and Decision Making
- MAN 3025 Principles of Management
- MAR 3023 Basic Marketing
Additional Major Requirements
Upon acceptance to the BGS major, students will complete the necessary coursework to reach 120 credit hours. The 120 credit hour requirement includes completing the following:
- USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning General Education requirements or approved equivalents - unless GE credits were completed at another Florida institution.
- All USF exit requirements
- Foreign Language Entrance Requirement
- One or two disciplinary concentrations selected by the student and approved by the advisor
- A minimum of 42 semester hours of upper-level work (courses numbered 3000 and above)
Major Residency Requirement
At least 30 hours earned at USF Tampa.