Undergraduate Catalog 2017-18
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Behavioral Healthcare (GBH)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0102
USF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree completion program that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS major provides mid-career, adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic plans. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
Students pursuing a Bachelor of General Studies degree are restricted from declaring a minor, due to USF's degree progression policy.
Students may not pursue the Bachelor of General Studies as a second major, dual degree, or second or post-baccalaureate degree. Baccalaureate degree holders who wish to pursue further education are encouraged to pursue admission into a graduate degree program of study.
Behavioral health problems, including mental illness and substance abuse, are among the greatest public health challenges facing our communities. Students enrolling in the Behavioral Healthcare concentration will be exposed to treatment approaches as well as to issues related to the organization, financing, delivery, and outcomes of behavioral health services. Combining academic and experiential learning, the concentration provides students with information and practical experience in behavioral healthcare services.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students desiring to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the University's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this program.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 HoursUSF Capstone EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 18 Hours
- MHS 3411 Multidisciplinary Behavioral Healthcare Services
- MHS 4002 Behavioral Health Systems Delivery
- MHS 4022 Adult Psychopathology in the Community or MHS 4490 Behavioral Healthcare Issues for Children
- MHS 4408 Exemplary Practices in Behavioral Healthcare Treatment
- MHS 4703 Legal, Ethical and Professional Issues in BHC
- MHS 4723 Professional Seminar in Behavioral Healthcare or MHS 4203 Practical Skills: Children's Behavioral Healthcare
Concentration Elective Courses - 3 Hours
Choose three (3) credit hours from the following list of courses:
- MHS 3204 Fundamentals of Applied Behavior Analysis or CLP 4414 Behavior Modification
- MHS 4023 Recovery-Oriented Mental Health Services
- MHS 4074 Child Development and Trauma
- MHS 4425 Field Experience in Behavioral Healthcare
- MHS 4434 Behavioral Health and the Family
- MHS 4452 Co-Occurring Disorders
- MHS 4463 Suicide Issues in Behavioral Health
- MHS 4731 Writing for Research and Publication in Behavioral and Community Sciences
- MHS 4741 Applied Research Methods
- MHS 4931 Selected Topics
Additional Major Requirements
Upon acceptance to the BGS major, students will complete the necessary coursework to reach 120 credit hours. The 120 credit hour requirement includes completing the following:
- USF Foundations of Knowledge and Learning General Education requirements or approved equivalents - unless GE credits were completed at another Florida institution.
- All USF exit requirements
- Foreign Language Entrance Requirement
- One or two disciplinary concentrations selected by the student and approved by the advisor
- A minimum of 42 semester hours of upper-level work (courses numbered 3000 and above)
Concentration Course Grade Requirement
*MHS 3411 should be taken during student's first semester of concentration coursework; a minimum grade of "B-" is required.
Major Residency Requirement
At least 30 hours earned at USF Tampa.