Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018
Business Analytics and Information Systems (BAIS)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 52.1201
Muma College of Business
The Business Analytics and Information Systems (BAIS) major provides the skills and knowledge necessary to enter the rapidly changing world of business analytics and information systems. Potential career paths include data analyst, business intelligence analyst, business analyst, consulting, systems analyst, database administrator, project manager or a myriad of technology management roles in business.
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business is an upper-level, limited access college, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student's program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in Management only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies, SVC 2002, (813) 974-4051, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- *ACG X021/ACG X022 Financial Accounting (or ACG X001 & ACG X011)
- *ACG X071 Managerial Accounting (or X301)
- CGS X100 Computers in Business (or acceptable substitute, i.e., CGS X100C, CGS X530, CGS X570, CGS X531, CGS X000, MAN X812)
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus or MAC 2230
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or QMB X100 or STA X122 (although STA X023 and QMB X100 are preferred).
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Within the 120-semester-hour program, students must complete a set of 6 required courses and 3 approved electives.
Students choose to enroll as either:
- a Business Analytics and Information Systems major or
- a Business Analytics and Information Systems major with a concentration in Cybersecurity or
- a Business Analytics and Information Systems major with a concentration in Healthcare Business
Students must have a 2.0 or higher GPA in the major; they can use grade forgiveness for only one upper-level course. A grade point average of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all major course work at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA including transfer work. BAIS majors must earn a "C" or higher (not C-) in ISM 3011 and the six required courses. At least 18 hours must be taken in residence at USF Tampa.
Major Core Courses - 15 Hours
- ISM 3113 Systems Analysis and Design*
- ISM 3232 Business Application Development*
- ISM 4212 Database Design and Administration
- ISM 4402 Business Intelligence or ISM 4220 Business Data Communications**
- ISM 4300 Managing Information Resources
**ISM 4402 is recommended for students interested in mainstream business analytics careers, while ISM 4220 is recommended for students interested in mainstream careers in Management Information Systems. Students can always take both these courses and have the second one count as an elective (see below).
Major Elective Courses - 9 Hours
- ISM 4041 Global Cyber Ethics
- ISM 4141 Web Application Development/Java
- ISM 4153 Enterprise Resource Planning Systems
- ISM 4220 Business Data Communications**
- ISM 4234 Object-Oriented Design and Development
- ISM 4252 Mainframe Technologies
- ISM 4314 Project Management
- ISM 4323 Information Security and IT Risk Management
- ISM 4381 Information Systems for Healthcare Analytics
- ISM 4382 Global Information Systems
- ISM 4402 Business Intelligence**
- ISM 4432 Software Testing
- ISM 4480 Electronic Commerce Systems
- ISM 4542 Statistical Programming for Business Analytics
- ISM 4571 Cybersecurity Cases
- ISM 4930 Selected Topics in MIS
- ISM 4940 Business Analytics and Information Systems Internship
- MAN 4505 Healthcare Operations Management
Students should see an advisor for a list of other approved upper-level area elective courses.
Major Internship Opportunities
It is strongly recommended that Business Analytics and Information Systems students take an internship course (ISM 4940) as part of their plan of study.
More About this Major
This major has an accelerated track that confers an undergraduate and graduate degree upon completion.Show Me More
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There is internship information associated with this major.Hide
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Show Me More
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More