Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018
Business Analytics and Information Systems (BAIS) with a concentration in Healthcare Business (HCBC)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 52.1201
Muma College of Business
The Healthcare Business concentration in Business Analytics and Information Systems focuses on the growing need to prepare students for successful careers in healthcare business field.
With suitable selection of courses, the healthcare business concentration can serve as a pre-medical program.
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business is an upper-level, limited access college, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student's program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in Management only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies, SVC 2002, (813) 974-4051, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- *ACG X021/ACG X022 Financial Accounting (or ACG X001 & ACG X011)
- *ACG X071 Managerial Accounting (or X301)
- CGS X100 Computers in Business (or acceptable substitute, i.e., CGS X100C, CGS X530, CGS X570, CGS X531, CGS X000, MAN X812)
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus or MAC 2230
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or QMB X100 or STA X122 (although STA X023 and QMB X100 are preferred).
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core - 15 Hours
Required Business Analytics and Information Systems Courses (15 credit hours):
- ISM 3113 Systems Analysis and Design*
- ISM 3232 Business Application Development*
- ISM 4212 Database Design and Administration
- ISM 4300 Managing Information Resources
- ISM 4402 Business Intelligence or ISM 4220 Business Data Communications**
*ISM 3232 (Business Application Development) is recommended to be taken before, or concurrently with, ISM 3113 (Systems Analysis and Design).
**ISM 4402 is recommended for students interested in mainstream business analytics careers, while ISM 4220 is recommended for students interested in mainstream careers in Management Information Systems. Students can always take both these courses and have the second one count as an elective (see below).
A student may choose to major in Business Analytics and Information Systems only or may choose to major in Business Analytics and Information Systems with a concentration in Healthcare Business.
Concentration Core Courses - 3 Hours
Required Healthcare Business Concentration Course (3 credit hours):
- ISM 4381 Information Systems for Healthcare Analytics
Concentration Elective Courses - 6 Hours
Choose six (6) credit hours from the following elective courses:
- BCH 3053 General Biochemistry
- ISM 4402 Business Intelligence***
- ISM 4542 Statistical Programming for Business Analytics
- ISM 4940 Business Analytics and Information Systems Internship
- LIS 4477 Clinical Decision Support
- MAN 4505 Healthcare Operations Management
***If this course is used to satisfy the major requirements, it cannot be used to fulfill the elective requirements.
+Internship location should be in a healthcare related field
Students should see an advisor for a list of other approved upper-level area elective courses.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Show Me More
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More