Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 27.0501
College of Arts & Sciences
Statistics is a science of information gathering, data analysis, and decision making. It is a discipline that blends the applied with the theoretical and our courses reflect this mix. These courses provide an excellent preparation for careers in industrial statistics, actuarial science, biostatistics, and statistical research.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- COP XXXX A Scientific Programming Course designed for Computer Science Majors
- MAC X311 Calculus I
- MAC X312 Calculus II - Calculus with Analytic Geometry II
- MAC X313 Calculus III
- STA 2XXX Statistics
- BSC XXXX / XXXXL or CHM XXXX / XXXXL or PHY XXXX / XXXXL or GLY XXXX / XXXXL
Total Major Hours: 46 Hours
Major Core Courses - 31 Hours
Majors must complete the following five courses plus completion of one of the four lab-based Science courses (Minimum 19 credit hours):
- MAC 2311 Calculus I or MAC 2281 Engineering Calculus I
- MAC 2312 Calculus II or MAC 2282 Engineering Calculus II
- MAC 2313 Calculus III or MAC 2283 Engineering Calculus III
- STA 4102 Computational Methods for Applied Statistics
- Plus completion of one of the four lab-based Science courses below:
- BSC XXXX / XXXXL
- CHM XXXX / XXXXL
- PHY XXXX / XXXXL
- GLY XXXX / XXXXL
Required Courses (Minimum 12 credit hours):
- STA 2023 Introductory Statistics I
- STA 3024 Introductory Statistics II
- STA 4321 Essentials of Statistics
- STA 4442 Introduction to Probability
Major Elective Courses - 15 HoursMajors must complete four courses from the following electives (Minimum 15 credit hours):
- STA 4222 Sample Survey Design
- STA 4502 Nonparametric Statistical Methods
- STA 4504 Categorical Data Analysis
- STA 4702 Multivariate Statistical Methods
- STA 4852 Applied Time Series
- MAP 2302 Differential Equations
- MAS 3105 Linear Algebra
One or two courses from another department which are of high statistical content may be taken as electives, with the prior approval of the Chair of the department.
STA 4930 Selected Topics in Statistics may be taken as electives, with the prior approval of the Chair of the department.