Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 42.0101
College of Arts & Sciences
The undergraduate program in Psychology offers the student a well-rounded liberal arts education. In addition, the program provides excellent training for qualified students who wish to pursue graduate work in such disciplines as Clinical, Cognitive and Neural Sciences or Industrial Psychology, Education, Gerontology, Counseling, Management, Medicine, Law, and other human service programs. The undergraduate major emphasizes the breadth of psychology while allowing the student some electives to pursue in depth a particular aspect of the field. Interested undergraduate majors may apply for admission to the Honors Program.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- BSC X0XX General Biology course (or BSC X20X or ZOO X010)
- PSY X012 Introduction to Psychological Science
- PSY XXXX Any other lower-level Psychology course within the Psychology inventory (i.e., CLP, DEP, EAB, EXP, INP, PCO, PPE, and PSB prefixes).
- STA XXXX Any level Statistics course
Total Major Hours: 34 Hours
Major CoreMajors must complete at least 34 credit hours of specified Psychology major coursework.
Major Core Courses - 25 Hours
- Introductory Psychology Requirements (10 credit hours):
- PSY 2012 Introduction to Psychological Science
- PSY 3204 Psychological Statistics or any approved statistics course
- PSY 3213 Research Methods in Psychology
After the introductory psychology requirements, students may choose among courses within the following categories to satisfy the remaining requirements.
- One Methods Course: (3 credit hours):
- Two Courses in Cognitive and Neural Sciences (6 credit hours):
- Two Courses in Social/Applied Psychology (6 credit hours):
Major Elective Courses - 9 Hours
Psychology Elective Courses (9 credit hours):
If a student takes PSY 3204 to meet the statistics requirement, the student must take three Psychology elective courses (9 credit hours). However, if a student took a different statistics course, the student must take four Psychology elective courses (12 credit hours).
The Psychology elective courses may be chosen from the courses listed in the above categories beyond the required number for each group and/or any of the following;
- PSB 3444 Drugs and Behavior**
- GEY 4612 Psychology of Aging**
- CBH 4004 Comparative Psychology
- CLP 4414 Behavior Modification
- CLP 4941 Community Practicum
- SOP 4330 The Social Psychology of HIV/AIDS
- SOP 4702 Psychology of Gender**
- CLP 4314 Health Psychology**
- PSY 4215 Discovering Research in Psychology
- PSY 4913 Directed Study (Instructor's permission is required to take this course)
- PSY 4931 Select Topics: Seminar (Generally this course require the instructor's permission.)
**No prerequisite required.