Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
Physical Education (PET)
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A. or B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1314 (Track 1 of 2)
College of Education
Major DescriptionPhysical Education includes the study of kinesiology, physical skill development, pedagogy, coaching, curriculum development and assessment, and administration of physical activity programs. The Physical Education major offers students extensive preparation in theory and methodology courses leading to K-12 teaching certification. The Physical Education Program also offers a minor in the Science of Physical Activity.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- EDF X005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- EDF X085 Teaching Diversity for Educators*
- EME X040 Introduction to Technology for Educators
- BSC X085 and BSC X086 or BSC X085 and PET X622
- Conditioning, Fitness and Wellness Course in Physical Education Activities
- Skill Development Courses in Physical Activities
*In addition to EDF X085, a minimum of 6 semester hours with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
Total Major Hours: 71 Hours
Major Core Courses - 71 Hours
- EDF 3122 Learning and the Developing Child or EDF 4131 Learning and the Developing Adolescent
- TSL 4324 ESOL Competencies and Strategies
- PET 3421 Curriculum and Instruction in Physical Education
- PET 4432 Instructional Design & Content: Physical Education Elementary I
- PET 4433 Instructional Design & Content: Physical Education Elementary II
- PET 4942 Physical Education Pre-Internship: Elementary
- EDF 3604 Schools and Society (EXIT Writing Intensive)
- PET 4510 Measurement and Evaluation in Physical Education
- PET 3031 Motor Behavior
- PET 3441 Instructional Design & Content: Middle School Physical Education
- PET 4742 Secondary PE Methods: Physical Activity & Fitness Opportunities
- RED 4312 Emergent Literacy Strategies and Assessment
- PET 3640 Adapted Physical Education
- PET 4765 Scientific Principles of Athletic Coaching
- PET 4820 Sport Skill Proficiency
- PET 4380 Applied Exercise Science
- PET 4401 Class Management, Safety, Ethics, Law and Organization and Administration of Physical Education
- PET 4442 Instructional Design & Content: Physical Education Secondary
- PET 4944 Physical Education Pre-Internship: Secondary
- PET 4946 Internship in Physical Education: Elementary
- PET 4947 Internship in Physical Education: Secondary
- PET 4929 Senior Seminar in Physical Education (EXIT Capstone)