Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
Interdisciplinary Classical Civilizations (ICC)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 16.1200
College of Arts & Sciences
Interdisciplinary Classical Civilizations is a broad-based area study encompassing the literature, history, linguistics, art and archaeology, philosophy, and religion of Greece, Rome and the Near East from pre-history to late antiquity. For centuries, the study of these vibrant societies has been recognized as essential to a proper understanding of our own culture and, recently, there has been a renewed recognition of the skills such study develops.
All students wishing to enroll in the ICC major must schedule an appointment with the Coordinator or the Academic Advisor of Interdisciplinary Classical Civilizations in order to develop a program of study. Students will be urged to fulfill their General Education and University Exit Requirements, whenever possible, from courses taught within the Classical Civilizations Program. Courses that are applied toward the Gen. Ed. or "Core" Requirements cannot be utilized more than once.
The ICC Major can be fulfilled in one of two ways:
- The ICC Major (33 hours minimum) is intended for students who wish to become familiar with aspects of the Classical Heritage of Western Civilization.
- The ICC Major with Honors (39 hours minimum) is intended for students who wish to continue their studies beyond the undergraduate level and includes a thesis (3 hours). The student must also maintain a 3.50 GPA within the major and a 3.30 overall GPA.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students desiring to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the University's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this program.
Total Major Hours: 33-34 Hours
Major Core Courses - 33-34 Hours
- 12 hours from the ICC "Core":
- CLA 3103 Daily Life in Ancient Greece or CLT 3103 Epic Battles and Dramatic Reversals in Greek Thought
- CLA 3124 Daily Life in Ancient Rome or CLT 3123 Voyages and Metamorphoses in Roman Imagination
- HIS 3930 Archaeology of Greece or HIS 3930 Roman Archaeology or REL 3280 Biblical Archaeology
- CLT 3370 Gods, Heroes, and Monsters in the Ancient World
- 18 hours (minimum) from the ICC "Fields":
- Two (2) courses from an approved list of 2000- to 3000-level courses in Anthropology, Classics, History, Philosophy or Religious Studies.
- Four (4) courses from an approved list of 3000- to 4000-level courses in Anthropology, Classics, History, Philosophy or Religious Studies.
- Three to four hours from an approved list of 4000-level Exit Requirement courses in Anthropology, Classics, History, Philosophy or Religious Studies.