Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 54.0101
College of Arts & Sciences
The discipline of history embraces a diverse world of ideas, peoples, and events. Our faculty seeks to inform and to question, to provoke and to challenge our students to a higher level of understanding of the past. History at the University of South Florida offers the student an opportunity to explore civilizations from around the globe and from the ancient through contemporary eras. We encourage our students to move beyond traditional memorization of material to a critical level of thinking, analysis, and synthesis. Accomplished history majors are attractive to all kinds of employers in any number of fields, as well as to graduate and professional schools. USF history alumni can be found in such diverse professions as law, medicine, business, government, foreign service, politics, and education.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida college System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
- 6 credit hours of AFH, AMH, EUH, WOH, LAH, ASH, HIS prefix courses
Total Major Hours: 33 Hours
A minimum of 33 semester hours of History Department courses are required to earn a B.A. degree in History.
Major Core Courses - 33 Hours
Lower-Level Course Requirements for the Major (9 credit hours):
Students must complete a minimum total of 9 hours of 2000-level courses, or their equivalent, to meet the lower level requirements of the major. Completing the lower level requirement of the major also satisfies the common pre-requisite requirements.
- AMH 2010 American History I
- AMH 2020 American History II
- ASH 2270 Southeast Asian History
- EUH 2011 Ancient History I
- EUH 2012 Ancient History II
- EUH 2021 Byzantine Empire
- EUH 2022 The Medieval West
- EUH 2030 Modern European History I
- EUH 2031 Modern European History II
- HIS 2931 Special Topics
- LAH 2020 Latin American Civilization
Upper-Level Course Requirements for the Major (15 credit hours)
In addition to the three required lower-level courses above, students must complete a minimum of 15 hours of 3000-4000 numbered courses to fulfill the upper level major requirement.
- AFH 3100 African History to 1850
- AFH 3200 African History since 1850
- AMH 3110 American Colonial History to 1750
- AMH 3130 The American Revolutionary Era
- AMH 3140 The Age of Jefferson
- AMH 3160 The Age of Jackson
- AMH 3170 The Civil War and Reconstruction
- AMH 3201 The United States, 1877-1914
- AMH 3231 The United States, 1914-1945
- AMH 3270 The United States since 1945
- AMH 3403 The South since 1865
- AMH 3421 Early Florida
- AMH 3423 Modern Florida
- AMH 3500 American Labor
- AMH 3530 Immigration History
- AMH 3545 War and American Empire
- AMH 3561 American Women I
- AMH 3562 American Women II
- AMH 3571 African American History to 1865
- AMH 4940 Early American History and Archaeology Internship
- ASH 3404 Modern China
- EUH 3142 Renaissance and Reformation
- EUH 3181 Medieval Culture
- EUH 3185 Viking History
- EUH 3188 Medieval Society
- EUH 3189 Medieval Politics
- EUH 3202 History of the 17th and 18th Century Europe
- EUH 3205 History of Nineteenth Century Europe
- EUH 3206 History of Twentieth Century Europe
- EUH 3401 Classical Greece
- EUH 3402 Age of Alexander
- EUH 3412 Roman Republic
- EUH 3413 Roman Empire
- EUH 3462 German History 1870 to the Present
- EUH 3501 British History to 1688
- EUH 3502 British History to Present
- EUH 3575 History of Imperial Russia, 1689-1717
- EUH 3576 History of the Soviet Union, 1917-1991
- HIS 3308 War and Society
- HIS 3930 Special Topics
- HIS 3938 Major Issues in History
- HIS 4900 Directed Reading
- HIS 4920 Colloquium in History
- LAH 3130 Colonial Latin America
- LAH 3200 Modern Latin America
- LAH 3430 History of Mexico
- LAH 3470 History of the Caribbean
- LAH 3480 History of Cuba
- WOH 3293 Islam in World History
- WST 3210 European Feminist History: Pre-18th Century
- WST 3220 European Feminist History: Enlightenment to the Present
- WST 4310 History of Feminism in the U.S.
Additional Required Courses for the History Major – Permits required (9 credit hours):
Students should plan to take Theory and Methods of History (HIS 4104) as early in the major as possible—preferably as they begin to take courses at the 3000-level, and no later than in the junior year. Majors are expected to complete this course before enrolling in either of their Pro-Seminars.
It is recommended that majors take the two Pro-Seminar (HIS 4936) courses in the fall and spring of their senior year. A GPA of 2.00 in the History major is required before a student can be permitted into these courses. Additionally, the two Pro-Seminar courses may not be taken during the same semester.
For elective hours outside of the major, it is recommended that History majors take
Additional hours can be profitably drawn from the following disciplines: Africana Studies, Anthropology, Classics, Economics, Geography, Government and International Affairs, Philosophy, Religious Studies, Sociology, Women’s Studies, Literature, Humanities and Cultural Studies; and Art History.