Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
German Studies (GMS)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 16.0501
College of Arts & Sciences
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- To complete a major in German Studies, students should demonstrate proficiency at the intermediate level within the target language. This may be accomplished by completing 6-12 hours within the language or by demonstrated competency at the intermediate level.
Total Major Hours: 30 Hours
Major Core Courses - 9 Hours
- Select nine (9) hours of 3000- or 4000-level coursework in German (taught in German)
- GER 3333 German Language & Culture through Film
- GER 3420 Composition I
- GER 3440 German for Business and International Trade
- GER 3500 The Germans - Past and Present
- GER 3501 Urban Life & Culture in Germany
- GER 3573 Cultural Observations in Germany
- GER 4410 Conversation II
- GER 4421 Composition II
- GEW 4930 Selected Topics
Major Elective Courses - 21 Hours
Select 21 hours in 2000-, 3000- or 4000-level courses with coursework in German (taught in German or English), including approved courses in related disciplines, planned with an advisor. A maximum of 6 credit hours of 2000-level coursework may be applied toward major electives.
- GER 2200 German III
- GER 2201 German IV
- GET 3103 German Literature in English Translation
- GET 3522 Fantastic Films of Early German Cinema
- GET 3524 German Popular Film
- GET 4523 New German Cinema to Present
- GET 4528 German Directors in Hollywood (CPST, HHCP)
- GEW 4100 Survey of German Literature I
- GEW 4101 Survey of German Literature II
- GEW 4900 Directed Study
- GEW 4930 Selected Topics