Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
English (ENG) with a concentration in Professional Writing, Rhetoric and Technology (PRT)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 23.0101
College of Arts & Sciences
A bachelor’s degree in English prepares students for any field that values critical thinking, high reading comprehension, clear and effective writing, and the ability to interpret and analyze data. It provides three concentrations from which students must choose one concentration: Creative Writing, Literary Studies, and Professional Writing, Rhetoric and Technology.
This concentration provides students with both a practical and a theoretical orientation to communication in a variety of media and genres. The program prepares students to work as innovative professional communicators in a variety of fields – from government to business to medicine. It also prepares students for graduate programs in rhetoric, composition, and professional communication. The program produces graduates who can think critically about communication, contexts, and technology as well as compose technologically-mediated documents and products using a variety of tools.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
Total Major Hours: 36 Hours
Concentration Core Courses - 15 Hours
- ENC 3242 Technical Communication for Majors
- ENC 3416 New Media for Technical Communication
- ENC 4218 Visual Rhetoric for Technical Communication
- ENC 4311 Advanced Composition
- ENC 4940 Professional/Technical Communications Internship
Concentration Elective Courses - 21 Hours
- ENC 3250 Professional Writing
- ENC 3310 Expository Writing
- ENC 3371 Rhetorical Theory for Technical Communication
- ENC 3435 Rhetoric and Gaming
- ENC 4260 Advanced Technical Writing
- ENC 4931 Selected Topics in Technical and Professional Writing
- Any courses listed in the Literary Studies concentration.
- Any courses listed in the Creative Writing concentration.