Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Urban Studies (GUS)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0102
USF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS major provides mid-career, adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic plans. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
Students pursuing a Bachelor of General Studies degree are restricted from declaring a minor, due to USF's degree progression policy.
Students may not pursue the Bachelor of General Studies as a second major, dual degree, or second baccalaureate degree. Baccalaureate degree holders who wish to pursue further education are encouraged to pursue admission to a graduate degree program.
The Urban Studies concentration offers students the opportunity to supplement their education and training with a focus on the problems and potential of the urban world around us. Understanding the economic, social, cultural, political and spatial phenomena of urban areas, and how they came to be, is essential if one is to thrive in today's world.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students desiring to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the University's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this program.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 HoursUSF Capstone EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 6 Hours
Concentration Elective Courses - 15 Hours
Choose 6 credits from the following:
- URP 4050 City Planning and Community Development
- URP 4052 Urban and Regional Planning
- URP XXXX Approved course with an URP or URS XXXX Approved course with an URS prefix
Choose 9 credits from the following:
- AMH 3423 Modern Florida
- AMH 3500 American Labor History
- AMH 3530 Immigration History
- AMH 3572 African American History since 1865
- AMS 3700 Racism in American Society
- ARC 4784 The City
- CCJ 3014 Crime and Justice in America or CCJ 3024 Survey of the Criminal Justice System
- CCJ 3117 Theories of Criminal Behavior
- EVR 2861 Introduction to Environmental Policy
- IDS 4942 Community Internship
- PAD 4144 Nonprofit Organizations and Public Policy
- PAD 4204 Public Financial Administration
- PAD 4930 Selected Topics in Public Administration and Public Policy
- PAD 5035 Issues in Public Administration and Public Policy
- PAD 5807 Urban and Local Government Administration
- POS3142 Introduction to Urban Politics and Government
- POS 3182 Florida Politics and Government
- SOW 3210 American Social Welfare System
- SPC 3710 Communication and Cultural Diversity
- SYD 3700 Racial and Ethnic Relations
- SYD 4410 Urban Sociology
- SYP 4530 Sociology of Juvenile Delinquency
- TTE 4003 Transportation and Society