Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
General Studies (BGS) with a concentration in Information Technology (GIT)
Bachelor of General Studies (B.G.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 24.0102
USF's Bachelor of General Studies Degree (BGS) is a customized, interdisciplinary degree that provides students with options to choose an appropriate academic program that fits their educational and professional goals. The BGS major provides mid-career, adult students with the opportunity to integrate completion of the baccalaureate degree into their established lifestyle.
BGS students will take an active role in creating their academic plans. Rather than choosing a traditional major, BGS students can choose from a number of established plans of study or can create their own individualized plan of study. BGS students complete 24-27 credits (core courses and electives) within a selected concentration in addition to their other degree requirements.
Students pursuing a Bachelor of General Studies degree are restricted from declaring a minor, due to USF's degree progression policy.
Students may not pursue the Bachelor of General Studies as a second major, dual degree, or second baccalaureate degree. Baccalaureate degree holders who wish to pursue further education are encouraged to pursue admission to a graduate degree program.
The Information Technology concentration is designed to bridge the gap between computer science and the business use of computers. Emphasis is placed on knowledge-based computer and information technology as well as applications, programming and networking in an era of rapidly changing technology.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students desiring to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the University's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements. Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this program.
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Major Core Courses - 3 HoursUSF Capstone EXIT Requirement:
- IDS 4934 Senior Capstone for BSAS/BGS
Concentration Core Courses - 10 Hours
- CGS 3303 Information Technology Concepts
- CNT 4104 Computer Information Networks for Information Technology
- CNT 4104L Computer Information Networks Laboratory for IT
- CIS 4935 Senior Project in Information Technology
Concentration Elective Courses - 11 Hours
Choose 11 credit hours from the following list of courses:
- CDA 3101 Computer Organization for IT
- CEN 3722 Human Computer Interfaces for IT
- CEN 4031 Software Engineering Concepts for IT
- CGS 2034 Computers and Impact on Society
- CGS 2060 Intro to Computers and Computer Programming
- CGS 2094 Cyber Ethics
- CGS 3845 Electronic Commerce
- CGS 3853 IT Web Design
- CIS 3932 Selected Topics for Information Technology
- CIS 4361 Information Technology Security Management
- CIS 4412 Information Technology Resource Management
- CIS 4932 Special Topics for Information Technology
- CNT 3403 Network Security and Firewalls
- COP 2510 Programming Concepts
- COP 2931 Selected Topics for Information Technology
- COP 3515 Program Design for IT
- COP 3931 Selected Topics for Information Technology
- COP 4610 Operating Systems for IT
- COP 4703 Database Systems for IT
- EEL 4854 Data Structures and Algorithms for IT
- ETG 4932 Selected Topics in Technology II