Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
Exceptional Child Education with ESOL & Reading Endorsement (BEX)
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A. or B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1001
College of Education
The undergraduate program is a state-approved program that leads to certification in Exceptional Student Education (ESE).
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- EDF X005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession (3)
- EDF X085* Teaching Diversity for Educators (3)
- EME X040 Introduction to Technology for Educators (3)
*In addition to EDF X085, a minimum of 6 semester hours with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the community college or university where the student is currently earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
Total Major Hours: 66 Hours
Major Core Courses - 66 Hours
Professional Education Core (27 credit hours):
- EEX 4941 Practicum in ESE
- Level 1 (1 hour); Level 2 (1 hour);
- Level 3 (1 hour); Level 4 (1 hour)
- EDF 3122 Learning and the Developing Child
- EDF 3604 Schools and Society (Exit-WRIN)
- EDF 4430 Measurement for Teachers
- FLE 4316 Language Principles and Acquisition
- FLE 4317 Teaching Students with Limited English Proficiency
- EEX 4944 Final Internship
Exceptional Student Education Core (39 credit hours):
Students seeking the B.S. degree with certification in Exceptional Student Education are required to take the following courses:
- EEX 4202 Context and Foundations
- EEX 4240 Beginning to Teach
- EEX 4241 Creating Effective Learning Environments
- EEX 4242 Enhancing Expertise in Teaching and Instructional Decision Making
- EEX 4244 Becoming a Special Education Teacher
- EEX 4742 Narrative Perspectives on Exceptionality: Cultural and Ethical Issues (Exit)
- LAE 4314 Teaching Writing in the Elementary School, Grades K-6
- MAE 4310 Teaching Elementary School (K-6) Mathematics I
- RED 4310 Reading and Learning to Read
- RED 4511 Linking Literature Assessment to Instruction