Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
Elementary Education (BEE)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1202
College of Education
Major DescriptionThis program is designed for students who wish to pursue a career as an elementary classroom teacher. The program of study includes both coursework and extensive field experience in elementary school settings to enable the students to integrate theory with teaching practice.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- EDF X005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession (3)
- EDF X085* Introduction to Diversity for Educators (3)
- EME X040 Introduction to Technology for Educators (3)
*In addition to EDF X085, a minimum of 6 semester hours with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the Florida College System institution or university where the student is currently earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
Total Major Hours: 72 Hours
Major Core Courses - 72 Hours
- EDP 3273 Learning and Development within a School Context
- EDF 4430 Measurement for Teachers
- EEX 4070 Integrating Exceptional Students in the Regular Classroom
- TSL 4080 ESOL 1 - Curriculum and Pedagogy of ESOL
- TSL 4081 ESOL 2 - Literacy Development in English Language Learners
- TSL 4251 ESOL 3 - Applying Linguistics to ESOL Teaching and Testing
- EDE 4941 Childhood Education Internship Level I
- EDE 4942 Childhood Education Internship Level II
- EDE 4943 Alternative Setting Field Experience
- EDE 4944 Childhood Education Internship Level III
- EDE 4940 Internship: Elementary Education
- EDE 4802 The Teacher as Researcher
- EDE 4301 Instructional Planning for Diverse Learners
- EDE 4504 Creating and Differentiating Learning Environments
- LAE 4311 Teaching Print and Multimodal Texts in Elementary Education
- LAE 4424 Teaching Children’s Literature
- MAE 4310 Teaching Elementary School (K-6) Mathematics I
- MAE 4326 Teaching Elementary School (K-6) Mathematics II
- RED 4312 Emergent Literacy Strategies and Assessment
- RED 4724 Intermediate Literacy Strategies and Assessment I
- SCE 4310 Teaching Elementary School Science
- SSE 4313 Teaching Elementary (K-6) Social Studies
Zero-Credit Hour Undergraduate Research Experience: