Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
Early Childhood Education: Pre Kindergarten/Primary (BEC)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1210 (Track 1 of 3)
College of Education
Major DescriptionEarly Childhood Education is a field of study that includes the teaching and learning of young children. This includes the preparation of prospective teachers through both coursework and extensive field experiences in various early childhood settings to enable them to integrate theory with teaching practices. Successful completion of this state-approved program will make the prospective teachers be eligible for the Florida Early Childhood Teaching Certification Pre-Kindergarten/Primary (age 3 – grade 3). The objective of the program is to provide prospective teachers with the necessary knowledge, skills, and dispositions required to teach Pre-K through 3rd grade students, with a particular focus on understanding developmentally appropriate practice; providing inclusive, differentiated, and culturally responsive instruction; utilizing technology to enhance student learning; and demonstrating on-going professional development.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C- is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- EDF X005 Introduction to the Teaching Profession
- EDF X085* Introduction to Diversity for Educators
- EME X040 Introduction to Technology for Educators
*In addition to EDF X085, a minimum of 6 semester hours with an international or diversity focus is required. Eligible courses will be determined by the Florida College System institution or university where the student is currently earning the Associate in Arts or baccalaureate degree. Foreign language courses may be used to meet this requirement.
Total Major Hours: 73 Hours
Major Core Courses - 73 Hours
Professional Education Core:
- EDF 4124 Child Growth and Learning
- EEC 4941 Field Experience I
- EEC 4942 Field Experience II
- EEC 4943 Field Experience III
- EEC 4940 Internship: Early Childhood
- EEC 4936 Senior Seminar in Early Childhood Education (Capstone)
- TSL 4080 ESOL I - Curriculum and Pedagogy of ESOL
- TSL 4251 ESOL 3 - Applying Linguistics to ESOL Teaching and Testing
- EDG 4909 Directed Studies: Young Children Special Needs
- EDG 4909 Directed Studies: Assessment, Evaluation, Reporting Process
- EEC 4008 Teaching Literature and Writing in Early Childhood
- EEC 4203 Programs for Young Children
- EEC 4211 Science for Young Children
- EEC 4321 Mathematics for Young Children
- EEC 4212 Integrated Curriculum: Social Sciences/Humanities & Art
- EEC 4303 Creative and Affective Experiences for Young Children
- EEC 4307 Cognitive Experiences for Young Children
- EEC 4408 Child, Family & Teacher Relations
- EEC 4604 Classroom Management and Guidance of Young Children
- EEC 4706 Language and Emerging Literacy
- HSC 3301 Health, Safety, Nutrition and Motor Skills for the Young Child
- RED 4312 Emergent Literacy Strategies and Assessment