Undergraduate Catalog 2016-17
+ More About this Major
Art History (AHM)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 50.0703
College of The Arts
The curriculum in art history reflects the belief that a traditional liberal arts program, supplemented by travel, is the best preparation for students who wish to teach the history of art at the college level or work in museums and galleries. Students will not specialize in a particular area such as Renaissance or Modern, but will acquire a general knowledge of the history of art. All Art History majors are required to take at least one 4000-level non-Western Art History course. Courses in areas such as history, philosophy, and literature are recommended as electives, both as supplement to undergraduate courses in art history and as a background for future graduate work. Art history majors are required to take courses in studio art as a means of better understanding what is involved in the art making process. It is important that students make every effort to travel to major museums in this country and, if possible, abroad.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university.
If a student wishes to transfer without an A.A. degree and has fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the student must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Transfer students are also required to comply with the immunization, foreign language, and continuous enrollment policies of the university.
Students should complete the following prerequisite courses at the lower level prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at a Florida College System institution, they must be completed before the degree is granted.
Unless stated otherwise, a grade of C is the minimum acceptable grade in prerequisite courses.
- ART X201 or ART X202 or ART X203 or ART X205
- ART X300 or ART X301 or ART X310
- ART X050 Art History Survey I
- ART X051 Art History Survey II
- XXX XXXX 9-12 semester hours of a single foreign language
Total Major Hours: 47 Hours
Major Core Courses - 47 Hours
- Art Preparation (12 credit hours):
- Art History Survey (18 credit hours):
- ARH 4170 Greek and Roman Art
- ARH 4200 Medieval Art
- ARH 4301 Renaissance Art
- ARH 4310 Early Italian Renaissance
- ARH 4312 Late Italian Renaissance
- ARH 4333 Northern Renaissance Art
- ARH 4350 Baroque and Rococo Art
- ARH 4430 19th Century Art
- ARH 4450 20th Century Art
- ARH 4475C Contemporary Issues in Art
- ARH 4520 African Art
- ARH 4530 Asian Art
- ARH 4571 Themes in Islamic Art and Architecture
- ARH 4930 Art History: Selected Topics*
- Art History Critical Studies or Directed Reading (9 credit hours):** ARH 4800 Critical Studies for 3 hours of 4000-level Art History Survey by permission of the instructor.
- Plus (2 credit hours):
- Extended Studies: required of all majors - London Middlesex Program, Paris Program, Public Art, Museum Internships, Community Art, Artists Internship/Apprenticeships, Art History Apprenticeships)