Undergraduate Catalog 2015-2016
Health Education (HEAL)
15 Credit Hours
College of Public Health
The goal of the Health Education minor in the Department of Community and Family Health is for students to develop basic skills in the development, implementation, and evaluation of theory-based public health education and health promotion programs for diverse audiences. The minor will also help prepare students for graduate coursework focused in these areas. By completing an additional 10 semester hours along with the minor, students should be eligible to sit for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) national exam.
Upon completion of the Health Education minor coursework, a student will be able to:
- Articulate major public health theories and models focused on behavior change.
- Develop health education programs for diverse audiences based on sound planning theory, tested frameworks and research design.
- Communicate health education messages based on effective health communication strategies.
- Develop skills in working with the media and health promotion advocacy
The Health Education minor consists of 15 credit hours. It is recommended that students follow the sequence of courses below. Electives may be chosen from a broad array of courses in consultation with Public Health undergraduate advisors in the Department of Community and Family Health.
Total Minor Hours - 15 Hours
Core Courses - 12 Hours
- PHC 4501 Health Education Theory and Behavior
- PHC 4141 Intervention Program Planning and Management
- PHC 4582 Health Education Methods, Communicaton and Advocacy
- PHC 4942 Public Health Field Seminar: Foundations of Evaluation and Research
Elective Courses - 3 Hours
Choose one of the following courses:
- HSC 3541 Human Structure and Function
- HSC 4579 Foundations of Maternal and Child Health*
- HSC 4631 Critical Issues in Public Health*
- HUN 3296 Nutrition and Disease*
- HUN 3272 Sports Nutrition*
- PHC 3721 Research Methods in Environmental and Occupational Health*
- PHC 4188 Public Health Emergencies in Large Populations
- PHC 4140 Introduction to Public Health Geographic Information Systems
- PHC 4542 Stress, Health, and College Life
*course is offered online
Please consult with your advisor and Dr. Wright in the College of Public Health for additional elective courses.