Undergraduate Catalog 2015-16
+ More About this Major
Communication (SPE) with a concentration in Public Advocacy (SAD)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 09.0101
College of Arts & Sciences
Communication focuses on the concepts, theories, and practice of human communication. Students apply their understanding of communication research and principles to personal, professional, and community relationships and concerns.
Students are encouraged to tailor their major to meet their own interest and select from one of six areas of concentration: Relational Communication, Organizational Communication, Health Communication, Culture and Media, Performance Studies or Public Advocacy.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
The State of Florida has identified a common course prerequisite for the major in Communication. This course must be completed with a minimum grade of "C" before the degree is granted. If the course is not transferred in, the student may take the course at USF.
- SPC 2608 Public Speaking
Total Major Hours: 36 Hours
Major Core Courses - 15 Hours
Students must take each of these four courses as early as possible in the major. These courses are prerequisites for taking many of the more advanced courses in the respective concentrations.
- COM 2000 Introduction to Communication
- ORI 3004 Communication as Performance
- SPC 3301 Interpersonal Communication
- SPC 3544 Persuasion and Media
This course is a prerequisite for the Communication major:
- SPC 2608 Public Speaking
Major Elective Courses - 6 Hours
Students must take 6 additional hours of elective coursework from any concentration in the Department of Communication at the 3000-level or higher.
The following courses will count for major electives, unless designated or approved to count toward specific concentrations:
- COM 4958 Communication Senior Capstone
- SPC 4930 Selected Topics (titles and topics vary each semester)
- SPC 4932 Senior Seminar in Communication
Public Advocacy Concentration course offerings:
- COM 3014 Communication, Gender and Identity
- COM 3413 Communication and Visual Culture
- COM 4016 Public Memory
- COM 4030 Women and Communication
- COM 4050 Globalization and Democratic Discourse
- COM 4104 Communication, Tourism, and Travel
- ORI 4019 Performing Identity and Culture
- ORI 4410 Performance Art
- SPC 3230 Rhetorical Theory
- SPC 3425 Group Communication
- SPC 3513 Argumentation and Debate
- SPC 3602 Advanced Public Speaking
- SPC 3653 Popular Forms of Public Communication
- SPC 3680 Rhetorical Analysis
- SPC 3710 Communication and Cultural Diversity
- SPC 4683 Rhetorical Analysis of Mass Media
- SPC 4701 Intercultural Communication
- SPC 4714 Communication, Culture and Community
The following courses are contracted individually between student and instructor. The concentration will be designated when the course is contracted.