Undergraduate Catalog 2015-16
+ More About this Major
Physical Education (PET) with a concentration in Exercise Science (BPW)
Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science (B.A. or B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 13.1314 (Track 2 of 2)
College of Education
Exercise Science includes study of the biological and behavioral aspects of exercise, fitness assessment and exercise prescription, behavior modification, and the clinical aspects of exercise. The Exercise Science program integrates classroom study with hands-on practical experiences. The Exercise Science major qualifies students for professional certifications such as ACSM's Certified Health Fitness Specialist, and NSCA's Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, and to pursue positions in worksite health promotion, strength and conditioning, clinical rehabilitation, personal fitness training, and sport performance.
Students who successfully complete the undergraduate Exercise Science Major earn a B.S. degree in Physical Education with a Specialization in Exercise Science. This program is offered in the School of Physical Education & Exercise Science in the College of Education. The Exercise Science program prepares students for a variety of entry level positions in the exercise science field. See our website (http://www.coedu.usf.edu/main/departments/physed/programs/progEs.html) for the types of jobs and job settings available as well as other important information. Successful completion of the program qualifies students for national professional certifications such as ACSM's Certified Health Fitness Specialist (HFS) and the National Strength and Conditioning Association's (NSCA's) Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS).
The course work is offered over a two-year period beginning in the fall semester of the student's junior year as shown below. The summer session (Session C – 10 weeks) between the junior and senior year is mandatory. Students can enter the program during the fall semester only and they progress through the program in a cohort.)
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
The exercise science program is a limited access program meaning that enrollment is limited to 30 students each fall semester. Selection of the 30 students is based on the following criteria:
- An overall GPA of 2.50. This is a College of Education criterion.
- Completion of all the following "common statewide prerequisites" for exercise science programs by the spring semester prior to fall admission with a C- or higher.
- Students with the top 30 composite GPAs will be selected for admission into the program. A composite GPA score will be calculated for each student by adding 30 percent of the overall GPA and 70 percent of the common statewide prerequisite GPA.
- Apply to the University of South Florida.
- Submit a completed application to the Exercise Science program, including official transcripts between June 1st and July 15th for fall admission.
- Complete the Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum requirements for the University of South Florida or for the Florida public college or university in which the student took his or her Foundations of Knowledge and Learning Core Curriculum requirements.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
These prerequisites must be met by transfer students as well as USF students. A grade of "C-" is the minimum acceptable grade.
- CHM X045/X045L or CHM X030
- HUN X201 or HUN X577 or HSC X100
- BSC X085/X085L or PET X322/X322L or APK X100C or BSC X093/X093L
- SPC X608 or AEE X030C
- BSC X086/X086L or PET X323/X323L or APK X105/X105L or BSC X094/X094L
- STA X023 or STA X030 or MAC X147
- MAC X105 or MAC X140 or MAC X147 or MAC X311
Total Major Hours: 60 Hours
Concentration Core Courses - 57 Hours
- PET 3211 Stress Management
- PET 3314 Professional Development Seminar
- APK 3120 Exercise Physiology
- PET 3361 Nutrition for Fitness and Sport
- PET 4219 Exercise Psychology
- PET 3312 Biomechanics
- PET 3384 Exercise Testing and Prescription
- PET 3404 Emergency Response and Planning
- PET 4402 Planning and Evaluating Fitness/Wellness Program
- XXX XXXX Capstone Course–Writing Intensive
- PET 3076 Fitness Across the Lifespan
- PET 3364 Physical Activity Epidemiology
- PET 4093 Strength and Conditioning
- PET 3713 Theory and Practice of Teaching Group Exercise
- PET 4088 Individualized Fitness/Wellness Programming (Capstone Course)
- PET 4413 Administration of Fitness/Wellness Centers
- PET 4550 Clinical Exercise Testing and Prescription
- PET 4941 Internship in Fitness/Wellness
Concentration Elective Courses - 3 Hours
- PET XXXX Elective of student's choice