Undergraduate Catalog 2015-2016
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 52.1401
Muma College of Business
Marketing is a dynamic field with many dimensions, including product selection and planning, product distribution, branding, pricing and promotion. Marketing poses many challenges and yields generous rewards for those who meet these challenges. Marketing operations are carried out domestically and internationally in virtually all business organizations that offer a product or service. Many marketing concepts are applicable to the operations of non-profit organizations such as governmental, educational, and health care institutions, as well as charitable and political campaigns.
Marketing operations provide the most visible links between the firm or institution and its many publics. Marketing deals with people who are constantly changing in their needs, wants, and desires; and coupled with these changing tastes is a fiercely competitive environment sustained by all the resources of a rapidly evolving technology. These forces lead to much of the challenge and dynamic nature of marketing.
The Marketing program at USF prepares students for initial entry and management positions in many areas of marketing with a curriculum that is concerned with:
- Understanding how to attract and retain customers
- Having the ability to find and analyze information
- Being able to design, collect, and analyze marketing information to be used in managerial decision making
- Using electronic and traditional media to create satisfied loyal customers
- Having personal communication skills that businesses demand
- Being capable of writing a winning marketing plan
- Understanding and being able to apply the latest marketing concepts
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business is an upper-level, limited access college, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student's program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration and economics courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration or economics. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in General Business Administration only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the TRansitional Advising Center, SVC 2043, (813) 974-2645, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- *ACG X021/ACG X022 Financial Accounting (or ACG X001 & ACG X011)
- *ACG X071 Managerial Accounting (or X301)
- CGS X100 Computers in Business (or acceptable Substitute, i.e., CGS X100C, CGS X530, CGS X570, CGS X531, CGS X0000, MAN X812)
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus or MAC 2230
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or QMB X100 or STAX122 although STA X023 and QMB X100 are preferred).
Total Major Hours: 21 Hours
Within the 120-semester-hour program, students must complete a minimum of 21 hours in marketing beyond MAR 3023. Students choose to enroll as either a Marketing major or a Marketing major with a concentration in Supply Chain Management.
A 2.0 GPA in all major course work at USF and an overall 2.0 GPA including transfer work. A grade of "C" or higher (not C-) is required in all Marketing classes including Basic Marketing (MAR 3023). At least 15 hours of upper level marketing core courses must be taken in residence at USF-Tampa.
If a student chooses the concentration in Supply Chain Management, please see Concentration-specific courses.
Major Core Courses - 15 Hours
- MAR 3823 Marketing Management
- MAR 3613 Marketing Research
- MAR 3400 Professional Selling
- MAR 4333 Promotion Management
- MAR 4824 Marketing Management Problems
Major Elective Courses - 6 Hours
- Additional upper-level marketing courses
Major Internship OpportunitiesIt is strongly recommended that Marketing Majors take an internship course (MAR 4940 Practicum) as part of their plan of study. The marketing practicum course provides students an internship opportunity to gain real world business experiences while they continue to take other courses and make progress towards their degree. Intern sponsors are provided as part of the course and academic work is delivered online. It is also recommended that courses in information technology, finance, management, and international business be included in the business electives.
Additional Major Information
- Orientation for freshmen and transfer students.
- Academic advising and program information for pre-business students who have applied to the Muma College of Business and declared business as their intended major.
- Students who meet all Muma College of Business admission requirements.
- Evaluation of undergraduate transcripts for all declared and admitted business transfer students.
- Maintenance of academic advising records.
- Certification of graduation.
Location: BSN 2102, (813) 974-4290 or schedule an advising appointment on-line: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/advising/.
Office Hours: 8am-6pm Monday-Thursday and 8am-4pm on Friday. Please refer to website for most current office hours information.
Chairperson: A. Kumar; Professors: T.B. Heath, D.J. Ortinau, R. Plank, P.J. Solomon, J.R. Stock; Associate Professors: A. Artis, D. Biswas, D.F. Davis, A. Kumar, B. Lafferty, S. Varki; Assistant Professors: R. Hooker, J. Mena; Instructors: C. Osborne, V.B. Panzer, J.M. Solomon, K. Walsh.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There is internship information associated with this major.Hide
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Show Me More
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Hide