Undergraduate Catalog 2015-16
+ More About this Major
Interdisciplinary Social Sciences (ISS) with a concentration in American Studies (AMS)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 45.0101
College of Arts & Sciences
Major DescriptionThe ISS program is designed to provide an interdisciplinary integration of the social sciences for students who are interested in a broad educational experience. ISS offers a wide choice of courses, and an opportunity to design a quality program geared toward individual needs and interests.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete the A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet General Education Requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
XXX XXXX (6 credit hours) Two introductory courses in a Social Sciences discipline.
Total Major Hours: 30 Hours
ISS students choose two concentration areas and complete twelve hours in each. Note: The Public Health concentration requires 15 hours of coursework. Students who pursue a concentration in Public Health will be expected to take one less course in the areas of African American Studies, International Studies or Women's Studies.
Concentrations areas must be selected from the areas of study listed below:
- Africana Studies, American Studies, Anthropology, Communication, Criminology, Economics, Environmental Science and Policy, Geography, Gerontology, History, Humanities, International Studies, Interpreter Training, Language, Speech and Hearing, Latin American, Caribbean and Latino Studies, Library and Information Sciences, Mass Communications, Multidisciplinary Behavioral Healthcare, Political Science, Psychology, Public Administration, Public Health, Religious Studies, Sociology, Women’s Studies.
The completion of 42 approved hours of coursework from the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is required, with a minimum of 30 hours at the 3000-or above level.
Major Core Courses - 18 Hours
Required core courses for the major are:
- ISS 3010 Introduction to the Social Sciences
- ISS 4935 Seminar in the Social Sciences
- STA 2122 Social Sciences Statistics
- One course in each of the following areas:
- African American Studies
- International Studies
- Women’s Studies
Two of these courses, ISS 3010 Introduction to the Social Sciences and ISS 4935 Seminar in the Social Sciences, introduce and employ the interdisciplinary social science perspective. These courses involve students in the study of human life and experience; the various concepts, theories and methods used in the social sciences; and apply them to contemporary issues and questions. STA 2122 Social Science Statistics is the third core course required for majors in Interdisciplinary Social Sciences.