Undergraduate Catalog 2015-16
+ More About this Major
Interdisciplinary Natural Sciences (INS)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 30.0101 (Track 16 of 16)
College of Arts & Sciences
The Interdisciplinary Natural Sciences degree serves the academic and career goals of undergraduate students who seek a broad education in the Natural Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Geology). Students select a sequence of upper-level courses based on career goals, choosing three of the five natural science areas. Students interested in secondary education, public health, and other fields may choose this degree.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete the A.A. degree at the community college. Some courses required for the major may also meet FKL Liberal Arts Requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the university’s entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
There are no State Mandated Common Prerequisites for this degree program.
Students are encouraged to complete as many of the following courses as possible, during the program of study at the community college, and when feasible in FKL Liberal Arts/Gordon Rule courses. Unless stated otherwise, a grade of "C" is the minimum acceptable grade.
- Biology I and Biology II (BSC 2010, BSC 2010L, BSC 2011, BSC 2011L)
- Calculus (MAC 2241 and MAC 2242 or MAC 2311 and MAC 2312 or MAC 2281 and MAC 2282)
- General Chemistry (CHM 2045, CHM 2045L, CHM 2046, CHM 2046L)
- General Physics (PHY 2053, PHY 2053L, PHY 2054, PHY 2054L) or (PHY 2048, PHY 2048L, PHY 2049, PHY 2049L)
- Introduction to Physical Geology and History of the Earth and Life (GLY 2010, GLY 2000L, GLY 2100, GLY 2100L)
Total Major Hours: 62-64 Hours
Major Core Courses - 38-40 Hours
Two introductory courses in each of the five (5) natural sciences areas: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geology. Choose from the following courses:
- Calculus I and II:
- Biology I and II:
- General Chemistry I and II:
- Geology I and II:
- Physics I and II:
- PHY 2053 General Physics I and PHY 2053L General Physics I Laboratory
- PHY 2054 General Physics II and PHY 2054L General Physics II Laboratory
Major Elective Courses - 24 Hours
Students are required to complete a minimum total of 24 credit hours. A minimum of 6 credit hours of structured, upper-level (3000-level or higher) courses in three of the five natural sciences areas is required. All Tier 2 courses in the sciences will be selected by the individual student, but must be chosen from the list of courses approved for department major credit.