Undergraduate Catalog 2015-2016
General Business Administration (GBA) with a concentration in Marketing and Management Information Systems (GMK/GIS)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 52.0101 (Track 1 of 2)
Muma College of Business
The General Business major provides students with substantial preparation in two functional areas of business and prepares them for positions in a business world that is increasingly interdisciplinary and values cross-functional abilities.
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
Admission to the Muma College of Business is based upon availability of faculty and space within each discipline. The Muma College of Business is an upper-level, limited access college, which means that it has admission requirements in addition to those of the University in general. Students interested in pursuing a degree in the areas offered by the Muma College of Business must complete the required prerequisites for entering the College in addition to other related criteria listed below.
Students must satisfy the following criteria:
- Minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit earned.
- Minimum of a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on all college-level work and a minimum of 2.0 on all credit attempted at USF, including any prior to renewal. NOTE: Beginning Fall 2013 the Muma College of Business will establish each fall a new minimum overall GPA required to satisfy the limited access GPA admission requirement. The minimum overall GPA will range between a 2.5 with a maximum required GPA of a 2.75. Students will be notified each fall as to the minimum entrance GPA required for the following fall semester. Notification will occur through Canvas and updated at the following link: http://www.usf.edu/business/undergraduate/requirements-general.aspx.
- In computing entry grade point average, all business and economics courses taken for S or U grades will be converted to C or F, respectively.
- A minimum score of 550 on paper and pencil or 213 on computerized TOEFL is required, when applicable.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Transfer credits will be accepted from accredited institutions; however, all hours earned may not be applied toward USF business degree requirements. Individual courses will be evaluated by an academic advisor and appropriately credited toward requirements in the student's program at USF.
Florida public state or community college students enrolled in an Associate of Arts (AA) program should normally complete the general education requirements and the State Mandated Common Prerequisites at a Florida College System institution. As a rule, AA students should avoid taking any business courses at the state or community college that are listed as 3000- and 4000-level courses at USF. Normally, courses in finance, marketing, management, and accounting, as well as other business administration and economics courses, taken at the lower division level that are offered as upper division courses at USF will not be accepted for upper division credit in business administration or economics. In general, business courses taken at the lower level, at technical schools, or as part of professional or military training, are not applicable to the degree programs of the Muma College of Business. Exceptions to this policy will be made only upon proper validation of such courses. Validation consists of successfully completing specified advanced courses in the discipline.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (AS) program in Business Administration are fully admissible to USF. Please see a business advisor to determine the articulation courses, discuss admission to the Muma College of Business and prepare a program plan for degree completion. Students transferring to the Muma College of Business with an A.S. in Business Administration may earn a major in General Business Administration only.
Florida College System students pursuing an Associate of Science (A.S.) program in any other discipline should contact the TRansitional Advising Center, SVC 2043, (813) 974-2645, for information regarding course transferability and degree articulation.
Completion of the following State Mandated Common Prerequisites (or equivalents) with a grade of C- or higher in each course and an overall 2.0 GPA:
- *ACG X021 or ACG X022 Financial Accounting or (ACG X001 & ACG X011)
- *ACG X071 Managerial Accounting (or ACG X301)
- CGS X100 Computers in Business (or acceptable Substitute, i.e., CGS X100C, CGS X530, CGS X570, CGS X060, CGS X531, CGS X000, ISM X000, CGS X518)
- ECO X013 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ECO X023 Principles of Microeconomics
- MAC X233 Elementary Calculus or MAC X230
- STA X023 Introductory Statistics or QMB X100 or STA X122 (although STA X023 and QMB X100 are preferred).
Total Major Hours: 24 Hours
Within the 120-semester-hours program, students must complete two concentrations from the following business disciplines: accounting, economics, finance, management, management information systems, or marketing. A minimum of 24 hours of upper-level course work must be earned with a GPA of at least 2.0 in each minor. The requirements for each minor are listed with the description of the major.
* Minors applied to the General Business major will be referred to as concentrations.
Nine hours of the required 12 credit hours of Management Information Systems coursework must be taken in residence at USF-Tampa. A GPA of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all Management Information Systems coursework.
Nine hours of the required 12 credit hours of Marketing coursework must be taken in residence at USF-Tampa. A grade of C or higher (not C-) is required in MAR 3023 Basic Marketing and all Marketing minor coursework. A GPA of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all Marketing coursework.
Concentration Core Courses - 9 Hours
Management Information Systems Required Courses:
Marketing Required Courses:
- MAR 3823 Marketing Management
Concentration Elective Courses - 15 Hours
Management Information Systems Electives:
- 6 hours of approved MIS electives
- Any three (3) upper level Marketing courses with a MAR prefix (excluding MAR 4824)
Additional Major Requirements
For undergraduate overseas degree programs, the College may offer a set of four international business courses, defined as a concentration in international business, as approved by the curriculum committee.
*One exception: A minor/concentration in Economics must consist of four upper level economics courses, excluding QMB 3200.
Courses used to satisfy a major in accounting, economics, finance, information systems management or marketing may not be used to satisfy either minor or economics concentration requirement for the GBA major. Courses used in the minors or concentrations for the GBA major cannot be used for a major
Concentration GPA RequirementA GPA of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all Management Information Systems coursework.
A GPA of 2.0 or higher must be achieved in all Marketing coursework.
Concentration Grade RequirementA grade of C or higher (not C-) is required in MAR 3023 Basic Marketing and all Marketing minor coursework.
Concentration Residency RequirementNine hours of the required 12 credit hours of Management Information Systems coursework must be taken in residence at USF-Tampa.
Nine hours of the required 12 credit hours of Marketing coursework must be taken in residence at USF-Tampa.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More