Undergraduate Catalog 2015-2016
Mass Communications (COM) with a concentration in Public Relations (PUR)
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)8 Semester Plan
124 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 09.0102
College of Arts & Sciences
College Level Requirements
Limited Access - This major has additional admissions requirements as listed in this section.
This is a limited access program.Students must meet the following requirements to gain entrance into MMC 2100 – Writing for the Mass Media:
- 2.75 Overall GPA
- Completion of ENC 1101 and ENC 1102 with a minimum grade of C not C- in each
- Minimum of 30 hours (including at least 15 semester hours for which grades and a grade point average have been awarded)
- Minimum score of 60 percent (120 out of a possible 200 points) on the Mass Communications English Diagnostic Test OR 70 percent (140 out of a possible 200 points) for students who transfer MMC 2100 or its equivalent
All majors must complete MMC 2100 Writing for the Media, and MMC 3602 Mass Communications and Society, with a minimum grade of C not C- before any other Mass Communications course may be taken. Students failing to achieve a minimum grade of C not C- in both MMC 2100 and MMC 3602 will be disallowed as majors in the School.
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
Students wishing to transfer to USF should complete an A.A. degree at a Florida College System institution. Some courses required for the major may also meet Foundations of Knowledge and Learning General Education Requirements thereby transferring maximum hours to the university. If students transfer with fewer than 60 semester hours of acceptable credit, the students must meet the university's entering freshman requirements including ACT or SAT test scores, GPA, and course requirements.
Students must complete 18 semester hours (may not include ENC or LIT prefix courses) outside the Mass Communications curriculum and beyond the 36 hours of general education requirements prior to entering the university. If these courses are not taken at the community college, they must be completed before the degree is granted. A grade of C (not C-) is the minimum acceptable grade.
Students are encouraged to complete the following prerequisites, or major, support, or elective courses if available, during the program of study at the community college, and when feasible in General Education/Gordon Rule courses.
- English Composition (minimum grade of C not C-)
- MMC 3602 Mass Communications and Society
Prior to being admitted to the School of Mass Communications, a student must:
- Complete a minimum of 30 semester hours including all General Education requirements and six hours of English composition (with a minimum grade of C not C-),
- Earn a 2.75 overall GPA,
- Pass a School-administered English Diagnostic Test.
A maximum of nine (9) semester hours in Mass Communications courses will be accepted from a community college or other lower-level program toward a degree in Mass Communications. It is suggested that the nine hours include the equivalent of the School core curriculum and one sequence introductory course. Approval by an appropriate advisor is required.
Total Major Hours: 37 Hours
The Mass Communications major requires six (6) hours of core curriculum courses (MMC 2100 and MMC 3602) and 31 hours of required and elective sequence courses for a total of 37 hours in Mass Communications within the 124-hour degree requirement. Six hours in Mass Communications writing courses (three hours in addition to MMC 2100) are a part of the graduation requirement.
- 80 hours in courses outside the School of Mass Communications, including 65 hours in liberal arts courses (as approved by the School).
- No more than 44 hours of Mass Communications courses may be applied toward the bachelor's degree within the 124-hour graduation requirement.
Major Core Courses - 6 Hours
Concentration Core Courses - 27 Hours
- ADV 3008 Introduction to Advertising
- JOU 2100 Beginning Reporting
- MMC 4200 History and Principles of Communications Law or MMC 4203 Communication Ethics
- PUR 3000 Principles of Public Relations
- PUR 3500 Public Relations Research
- PUR 4100 Writing for Public Relations
- PUR 4101 Public Relations Design and Production
- PUR 4401 Public Relations: Issues, Practices, and Problems
- PUR 4801 Advanced Public Relations
The following courses are required outside the School to complete sequence requirements:
- ECO 1000 Basic Economics
- LIS 2005 Library and Internet Research Skills
- MAN 3025 Principles of Management
- MAR 3023 Basic Marketing
- POS 2041 American National Government
- POS 2112 State and Local Government and Politics or POS 3142 Intro to Urban Politics and Government
Concentration Elective Courses - 4 Hours
- Four (4) credit hours, selected with advisor’s approval
Additional Major Requirements
Major GPA Requirement
A 2.5 GPA in Mass Communications courses is required for graduation.
Major Grade Requirement
No student may graduate with a grade lower than C not C- in any Mass Communications course.
Major Residency Requirement
At least 22 hours of resident School courses are required.
Major Other Requirements
Sign Language may be used as an option by Mass Communications majors to fulfill the language requirement.
More About this Major
There are research opportunities associated with this major.Show Me More
There are additional requirements for this major such as grade, GPA, foreign language, and/or general education requirements.Hide
There is more information available for this major such as faculty, advising, and/or accreditation information.Show Me More