Undergraduate Catalog 2015-16
+ More About this Major
Behavioral Healthcare (BHC) with a concentration in Children's Mental Health (CML)
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)8 Semester Plan
120 Credit Hours
CIP Code: 44.0000
College of Behavioral & Community Sciences
Behavioral health problems, such as mental illness and substance abuse, are among the greatest public health challenges facing our communities. New, scientifically-based approaches are available to treat and prevent many behavioral health problems. Students will be exposed to treatment approaches as well as to issues in the organization, financing, delivery, and outcomes of behavioral health services. The emphasis of the curricula is on practices that have been scientifically validated and the delivery of services within the context of current funding, policies and trends.
Students must also demonstrate behaviors that are congruent with the professional standards and values of the profession. Students desiring a career in this field should be aware that fingerprinting, a background check, and drug screen may be required to work in this field. Failure to pass one of these checks would be cause to terminate a student from the major. Students may be responsible for any associated costs.
College Level Requirements
State Mandated Common Course Prerequisites
It is strongly recommended that those students seeking the Bachelor's degree in Behavioral Healthcare complete prerequisites at the lower level prior to entering the university. (These courses may also be used to fulfill FKL requirements for entering freshmen.) The state mandated common course prerequisites must be completed with a minimum grade of C (not C-) or better.
- PSY X012 Introduction to Psychological Science
- STA XXXX Any level Statistics course or PSY X204 Psychological Statistics
- SYG X000 Introduction to Sociology or SYG X010 Contemporary Social Problems
Total Major Hours: 37 Hours
Major Core Courses - 22 Hours
- MHS 3411 Multidisciplinary Behavioral Healthcare Services*
- PSY 3213 Research Methods in Psychology (or equivalent with Department approval)
- MHS 4022 Adult Psychopathology in the Community or MHS 4490 Behavioral Healthcare Issues for Children
- MHS 4408 Exemplary Practices in Behavioral Healthcare Treatment
- MHS 4002 Behavioral Health Systems Delivery
- MHS 4452 Co-Occurring Disorders
- MHS 4703 Legal, Ethical & Professional Issues in BHC
- *MHS 3411 should be taken during student's first semester of major coursework; a minimum grade of "B-" is required.
Concentration Core Courses - 15 Hours
- RCS 4033 Overview of Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling Professions
- MHS 3204 Fundamentals of Applied Behavior Analysis or CLP 4414 Behavior Modification
- MHS 4434 Behavioral Health and the Family
- MHS 4203 Practical Skills: Children's Behavioral Healthcare
- MHS 4425 Field Experience in Behavioral Healthcare